Question

Connect Google Chromecast dongle to HDMI port of (new) SONOS Amp?

• 28 May 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Since the HDMI port is meant to receive audio from the TV, would it not receive audio from the Google Chromecast dongle so I can play to that dongle to get Chromecast audio?

If someone has those two pieces, I would be very interested to know if it works.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

The port on the Amp is an HDMI-ARC port, and needs the ARC signal from a TV.  It doesn’t pull audio from a normal HDMI signal.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

The port on the Amp is an HDMI-ARC port, and needs the ARC signal from a TV.  It doesn’t pull audio from a normal HDMI signal.

OK yes, I understand that. So the ARC audio signal coming back from the TV is coming through a different line compared to the standard audio signal? 

I can actually give this a try by connecting my DVD player to the amp and see if I get sound (I am getting my amp today).

OK yes, I understand that. So the ARC audio signal coming back from the TV is coming through a different line compared to the standard audio signal? 

Yes.  Different channels. 

I can actually give this a try by connecting my DVD player to the amp and see if I get sound (I am getting my amp today).

Many others have tested before you, and Sonos has stated, it’s not going to work.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Many others have tested before you, and Sonos has stated, it’s not going to work.

Ok understood. I think the ARC line in HDMI is physically separate from the audio line. The optical adapter would allow audio in into the SONOS amp, but for HDMI audio in I would have to use something else.