cloud based music library

• 29 November 2020
  • 4 replies

I want to transition from NAS to Cloud based storage, including music and photos. How can I access a cloud based music library in Sonos?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Stephen_72, welcome to the Sonos community. Thank you for reaching out to us and letting us know about your concern. Let me help you with this. 

Music library stored locally in the computer of NAS drive are the ways that you can add in the Sonos app. You can upload your music to Sonos music service partners and can add in the Sonos app and stream music. 

Cloud based music library is not available with Sonos app. What I can do is to submit this as a feature request to our engineering team so they can take a look. We don’t have information to share with you but you can check our announcements for any feature releases and updates.  

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have further questions, additional feature requests, or concerns. We are always happy to help out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If you are willing to mess about with a computer at your end you could try setting up a Cloud to SMB v1 gateway. If you can mount your Cloud as a drive on the computer you may be able to share it on from there.

You don’t need a Pi for this, the same basic setup should work for any SMB v1 capable computer.

https://stan-miller.livejournal.com/357.html

I don’t do cloud so I can’t test it so if it works please let us know so we can add that to our tool-kits.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Please ignore Rowena’s answer.

For cloud-based music you can use Apple Music or iBroadcast. You also use You Tube Music but it is terrible on Sonos. A third party has also recently created a OneDrive Sonos integration.

Historically there were more options (Google, Amazon, Groove) but there’s no money it it so all have gone away.

Cloud based photos makes no sense for Sonos obviously.

I want to transition from NAS to Cloud based storage, including music and photos. How can I access a cloud based music library in Sonos?

Are you wanting your personal data to be stored in the cloud, or are you just wanting to be able to access your music and photos while not at home?  If the later, you may want to look at Plex.  You would still store all your data locally, but would able to access your personal library of music, photos, videos, etc from outside your home via the Plex app.  I’ve been using it for the past couple months and have been pretty happy with it.  You can access Plex as music service on Sonos, but obviously you could still access your music library directly as you currently do.