Can't access music library on Linux

• 9 December 2020
  • 8 replies

I have an Ubuntu Linux machine onto which I've collected the music files I want available through Sonos. I don't need a Linux controller; I'm quite happy to use the Sonos app on my phone to control Sonos. I just want Sonos to be able to retrieve those music files from the Linux machine.

I've set up a Samba (SMB) share called Music that publishes the directory under which the music is stored. I can browse that directory from other computers on my network.

Multiple sources on the Internet say that the following must be present in my smb.conf file for Sonos to be able to access that share:

ntlm auth = yes

It is, and I've restarted the smb service. Yet Sonos still says it cannot access the share I've configured.

What more must I do?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Running Pi Desktop OS / Debian Stretch derivative.

That must be under the [global] heading, not sure about your spaces versus my no spaces:

[global]

# enable v1 authentication for Sonos access
ntlm auth=yes

My Sonos share looks like this:

[music]
Comment = Pi shared folder
Path = /mnt/ssd-music
Browseable = yes
Writeable = Yes
only guest = no
create mask = 0555
directory mask = 0555
Public = yes
Guest ok = yes

Yes, sorry, my ntlm auth=yes setting is already under [global].

This is Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS, if it matters, but for what it’s worth it didn’t work with 18.04 either.

My share definition looks like:

[Music]
   comment = Music on labador
   path = /home/nat/Music
   read only = yes
   browseable = yes
   guest ok = yes
   public = yes

(I added public = yes based on your post, which I didn’t already have, and restarted, but the same result.)

Response:

Unable to add the music share //labador/Music to your music library (900)

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Ah! Error 900

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/262?language=en_US

Not the most helpful for Linux, even the Mac suggestions.

What is the library location you are trying to use?

Simple is good, I have //pi-server/music showing on my controller.

If nothing else try it again and submit a diagnostic and post the number here so the Sonos folks can pull it up to see if there is more info there.

What is the library location you are trying to use?

I’m trying to publish my local /home/nat/Music directory as //labador/Music. I enter //labador/Music into the Sonos controller.

If nothing else try it again and submit a diagnostic and post the number here so the Sonos folks can pull it up to see if there is more info there.

I’m sorry, I don’t know what you mean by “submit a diagnostic”?

Here is how to submit a system diagnostic.

Badge

Greetings,

I have the exact same problem as mentioned above. Followed the exact same steps, but to no avail.

Has there been a resolution to this problem?

Many thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

I used a slightly different way to force Samba to allow SMBv1 on my Mint 20/Ubuntu based server:

server min protocol = NT1
ntlm auth = yes

There are a ~lot~ of config options available to use in smb.conf and TBH I’ve never tried it without the first of those two lines to see if it’s necessary!

server min protocol = NT1
ntlm auth = yes

There are a ~lot~ of config options available to use in smb.conf and TBH I’ve never tried it without the first of those two lines to see if it’s necessary!

@Antifon , I can now assure you: it is necessary. As I posted originally, I already had “ntlm auth = yes” in my smb.conf -- but not until I added your “server min protocol = NT1” and restarted smbd would Sonos connect to the Ubuntu share.

THANK YOU!!