BBC Sounds now available (finally!!) on Sonos

• 10 December 2021
  • 36 replies

Userlevel 1
  • Contributor II
  • 5 replies

Just heard today that BBC Sounds app is now compatible with Sonos.  Just uploaded to my system!!  This came fm BBC :

Thank you for contacting BBC Sounds regarding support for Sonos.

We just wanted to get back in touch to let you know that BBC Sounds is now available on Sonos, meaning that whether you’re using iOS or Android, you’ll be able to listen directly on your Sonos device, and make the most of what BBC Sounds has to offer.

For more information, have a look at our FAQ:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/questions/listening-on-a-smart-speaker/sonos

We know it’s been a long wait, so we want to thank you for your feedback, and most of all, for your patience whilst we completed the work on this.

Hopefully this comes as good news and you can enjoy the BBC Sounds experience on Sonos.  

Kind Regards

BBC iPlayer & BBC Sounds Support Team 

UNQUOTE

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

36 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Been asking for this for years and have now installed it on my controller. But still won’t be using it much, if at all.

It misses the most useful features i.e. programme schedule and ability to scrub back.

Most lunch times , for example,  I listen to World At One time shifted. I can’t do that on the Sonos version. Nor can I pause and resume. (Which I often do). So I will stick to using my tablet. 

It also seems that Sounds replaces the queue. Which is a bit annoying. I don’t believe that is the case with TuneIn.  

Been asking for this for years and have now installed it on my controller. But still won’t be using it much, if at all.

It misses the most useful features i.e. programme schedule and ability to scrub back.

Most lunch times , for example,  I listen to World At One time shifted. I can’t do that on the Sonos version. Nor can I pause and resume. (Which I often do). So I will stick to using my tablet. 

It also seems that Sounds replaces the queue. Which is a bit annoying. I don’t believe that is the case with TuneIn.  

These are fair comments, although there are other use cases for which it is useful, and there may well be further improvements before long.  Sonos has also added functionality that creates further options for listening to BBC Sounds and much else besides (eg Airplay, the Roam).

Badge +2

Where can we,users of Sounds on Sonos, give feedback to the Sonos and BBC developers?

I'd like to see more information in the Sonos rendering of 'My Sounds' for example.

Sonos wrote a single API, which should be the same across all streamers, including the BBC. See the Sonos partners page for additional information. If you want more info to appear in the BBC sounds rendering within Sonos, and it’s within the abilities of that API, then petitioning the BBC would be appropriate. Many streaming companies choose not to use all features built in to the API already, and supply minimal data to it, including in some cases, which content is available. 

Badge +2

I found a feedback form for BBC Sounds and have posted my enquiry there. Thanks for your insight too. I'll take a peek at the partners page as well.

Cheers.

The only downside is that , as far as I can see, BBC Sounds doesn't work from the old controllers - it allows you to add the service but can't browse anything if you select it. The same is true of  Sonos Radio. 

I know the controllers are no longer being upgraded which is a pity as using a mobile phone isn't necessarily the best idea in a household of multiple people. not all of whom might have a suitable phone . 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The only downside is that , as far as I can see, BBC Sounds doesn't work from the old controllers - it allows you to add the service but can't browse anything if you select it. The same is true of  Sonos Radio.

Are you talking the CR200? There are many music services that are not compatible with that, due to the lack of required TLS and cert support.

The S1 app works fine on PCs/Macs for this still.

Sorry but BBC Sounds does NOT appear on the list of music services on SONOS S1. I had invested heavily in the early days of SONOS with which I am extremely happy. However i consider that it is not possible to change my sonos equipment, PLAY 5 etc to upgrade to SONOS S2 in order to get BBC Sounds. Why is BBC Sounds not on S1?? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Why is BBC Sounds not on S1?? 

That’s a question for the BBC.

Sorry but BBC Sounds does NOT appear on the list of music services on SONOS S1. I had invested heavily in the early days of SONOS with which I am extremely happy. However i consider that it is not possible to change my sonos equipment, PLAY 5 etc to upgrade to SONOS S2 in order to get BBC Sounds. Why is BBC Sounds not on S1?? 

I added BBC Sounds to my Sonos S1 app this morning and listened to ‘Today’ on R4 through it, so I think it is there  

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Are the country setting in your profile on the Sonos website set to Uk?