Answered

Adding a turntable to a pair of Sonos One Speakers?

• 9 September 2022
  • 6 replies

Hi everobody,

i sold my receiver and my Klipsch speakers. But i kept my turntable, my phono preamp, my Sonos connect, my Sonos play 1 and 3. I wanna play my turntable in my speakers thru my connect. I read this article 

When i had my receiver, my turntable was grounded to my preamp and my preamp was grounded to my receiver.

So my question his: do i have to ground my preamp to my connect? Because there his no ground on the connect.

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 9 September 2022, 15:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Not 100% sure what you mean by’ ground’, but the Connect does not require the source device (preamp) to be connect to the Connect by anything other than the RCA input.  If your preamp has a grounding wire that must be connected, I would either look for a preamp that doesn’t require a ground or wire the ground wire to an appropriate ground location in your home.

Sorry for my english, i’m a french speaking person, i struggle when i write in english.

When i had my receiver, there was a ground wire connected from my turntable to my preamp and a ground wire connected from my preamp to my receiver. Do i need a ground wire from my preamp to my connect?

But i think you answered my question. I’ll try it and i’ll see if i need a ground wire from my preamp to my connect. If so, i’ll change my preamp. 

Thank you melvimbe

Sorry for my english, i’m a french speaking person, i struggle when i write in english.

Your English was good.  We just don’t see too many questions about ground wires on this forum.

When i had my receiver, there was a ground wire connected from my turntable to my preamp and a ground wire connected from my preamp to my receiver. Do i need a ground wire from my preamp to my connect?

But i think you answered my question. I’ll try it and i’ll see if i need a ground wire from my preamp to my connect. If so, i’ll change my preamp. 

Thank you melvimbe

From my experience, if a home electronic device needs a ground wire, it will get it through the electrical wire to the wall outlet, not connected to another device.  That’s in the US though, which could be entirely different.   I have seen some DC applications with vehicle electronic devices that need a ground wire, and these are usually connected to metal on the vehicle itself.

Usually a turntable will offer a ground wire if there is no built-in preamp. The signal originating from the “phono cartridge” is quite small and requires special equalization. Older receivers provide this in the “Phono” input.  Usually, there is a ground wire from the turntable that should be connected to the ground lug on the receiver.

Since CONNECT does not include a phono preamp, there is no need for a ground lug. If your turntable includes a preamp, switch this ON. If not, you’ll need to add an external preamp and this should include a ground lug.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

For me the first question would be: do you notice any strange noises a ground loop would cause? If not there’s no need to ground the turntable.

Thank you all for your answers. I didn’t plugged anything, i’m still unboxing. I was just wondering if it would work properly with my Connect to my speakers. I’ll keep you posted.