Recommended music - other than classical and pop

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

333 replies

Badge +2
But the focus was too much on equipment and not the music.
What I like about Sonos is that it's 'good enough'.

That is why I started this thread; there is too much worrying about the state of the finger pointing to the moon here as in most other such fora, losing sight of the moon in the process. And Sonos is more than good enough I have found - properly set up it is in the HiFi class for audio. What can mar the experience is still inherent in the state of wireless tech where music play minus stuttering or interruptions can still be a challenge at times, but Sonos meets these challenges better than most of the competition.
Another good album that has vocals on about half the tracks - Melody Gardot, Cassandra Wilson, Norah Jones, Diana Krall and some others - is Sophisticated Ladies by the ever dependable Charlie Haden quartet.
Badge +2
Kumar - you're a poet!
Any jazz addict that has seen Tom Hanks in the Terminal will remember the last few minutes to be the most memorable of an otherwise forgettable movie - when Benny Golson breaks out into his signature tune, Killer Joe.
I had not heard of Benny till I saw the movie and I then hunted down the album Art Farmer/Benny Golson meet the Jazztet that has this and other great tunes on it.
I have just discovered another great and recent Golson album - Terminal 1, performed/released along with the movie ten years ago, Golson and band in fine form.
Recommended music for sax and trumpet jazz fans.
I have to say that both my Connect Amp based set up as well as the play 1 pair+Sub main system render this and similar music brilliantly.
Sadly, nothing at home can capture the magic of being in a club where a top class jazz set is on.
Badge +2
Thanks for sharing, Zigzag2.
+1 to that; it is a lot of new music to be explored over the coming days, so thanks for that, I have Richter's new Vivaldi playing as I write this. And a combination of Sonos + Apple Music (in my case) makes it so easy to do this exploring - these are truly the best of times for home audio. For every abuse of social media and smart phones, there is this upside to the tech of today.

As to the Rita album, I find Brahem's La Pas Du Chat Noir album to be just as enjoyable. Mystic Jazz is a good description I read somewhere for it.
Clifford Brown and Helen Merrill
I hadn't heard this one - very nice and I am in just my first listen. The singing style isn't modern of course, but making an allowance for that, it doesn't sound its age of 60 years.
Thank you.
Badge +2
While listening with great enjoyment to Brahem's 'Black Cat' album I was reminded in one section of another excellent album track 'A Rainbow in Curved Air' by Terry Riley. Repetitious and hypnotic - but it's not everyone's cup of tea!

An easier listen and with a recording quality I've rarely heard bettered is 'Buddy Holly - The Original Master Tapes'. Not available on Spotify, I bought the CD on Amazon and made a FLAC recording to a NAS drive.

Finally as a follow-up to the Max Richter recommendation may I recommend a series that was shown recently on Sky Atlantic here in the UK: 'My Brilliant Friend' adapted from the novel of that name by Elena Ferrante. It's just fabulous and has a wonderful soundtrack by Max Richter which is available separately. I've watched all 8 episodes three times it's that good and the Richter's soundtrack through the Sonos Beam with surround sound is musical nirvana.
Userlevel 2
Just wanted to send kudos to threadstarter and emphazise his number 4 on his list: 4. Jan Johannsen - Jazz pa Svenska. Fantastic intrumental jazz. Just what you want to put on anytime to make an easy and feelgood mood. thanks
Badge +2
New Recommendation: Musica Nuda - Live a FIP.
Userlevel 2
If the above is to your tastes, these three are brilliant, I have found:
1. Ragas and Sagas - Garbarek and Hussain
2. Making Music - Zakir Hussain
3. Song for Everyone - Garbarek, Hussain, Gurtu
Garabarek on his own can be hard to digest, I have found, but I like him on these.

I took up the runes by garbarek is hugely used as background music on snowy tv-documentaries here up north
I hadn't heard this one - very nice and I am in just my first listen. The singing style isn't modern of course, but making an allowance for that, it doesn't sound its age of 60 years.
Thank you.

Timeless music never sounds dated. ;)

Her Gil Evans collaboration is also a classic, as, of course, is Miles Davis' work with Gil.
emphazise his number 4 on his list: 4. Jan Johannsen - Jazz pa Svenska. Fantastic intrumental jazz.
I agree. It is also surprisingly little known outside of Scandinavia. It is so good that I will endorse it again just now. Excellent recording of high clarity too and rarely heard tunes. I did not find any of his other work to be anywhere close to how good this one is.
Timeless music never sounds dated. ;)

By definition?!
John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman. Their version of Strayhorn's Lush Life is definitive, IMO.
I agree. Lovely album.

Another of my desert island tunes is Round Midnight. There are so many versions of it but the 1957 Miles Davis version from the album of that name still rules in my book. And is still as fresh as ever.

Where it comes to singing it, Karrin Allyson, on an album by the same name, with an excellent band supporting her.
I was digging around looking for more of Clifford Brown and Kenny Dorham, when I came across a somewhat unheralded Art Blakey/Jazz Messengers album - Like Someone in Love. This from the Lee Morgan/Wayne Shorter iteration of the Messengers, is a companion to their Night in Tunisia that is a better known album.
I found Morgan and Shorter to be more to my taste on the lesser known album, propelled forward by some robust drumming by Blakey. Great medium and slow tempo blowing on the trumpet and sax, and very well remastered, so crisp and clean sound.
Been chillin' with a couple of Eddie Higgins Trio albums from Venus label lately. Standards and Ballads.

Pretty easy to see why he was loved by Japanese and Korean jazz fans back in the day (while being virtually unknown at home, except in his hometown Chicago). Great stuff.
I discovered three great Benny Golson albums, recorded in the late fifties, which still sound great for listening as well as background for dinner or working.

Grooving with Golson, Gone with Golson and Getting with it.

Three excellent recordings, listen to any one or all three. It isn't easy to find music of this quality these days, even though this comment dates me.

Another recent find via Golson is Art Farmer. His Modern Art is a great trumpet record, and one of the best of Bill Evans on piano as well. Recorded in - when else - late fifties.
Check out The Tony Bennett Bill Evans Album for a really fine collaboration between the two masters.
I got that quite some time ago, and discovered that Bennett was a very good jazz singer too. Doesn't do much in that vein now though.
Ah, but he has the kids discovering the Gershwins, Cole Porter, Johnny Mercer... Nothing wrong with that!
His Idle Moments album has been in my collection for a long time, but I recently discovered another album of his - the Rudy van Gelder remastered version of Green Street, another 1950s album.

Excellent straight ahead jazz guitar with just bass and drums. Many of the tracks are standards, but sound fresh on this guitar led trio. Highly recommended for listening at quiet times, and I am looking to see what else of his I can find that is just as good.
The music sounds like it was recorded yesterday!
Not surprisingly, there are more great guitar jazz albums from Grant Green. One of these that I can recommend is with Sonny Clark on piano in the mix as well - A 2 CD 19 track set, The Complete Quartets with Sonny Clark.

The fifties seem to have been golden years for jazz and it is not surprising that in some places jazz is considered to be the music of the 1950s.
Check out this phenomenal 11 year old jazz pianist from Indonesia, who is taking the jazz world by storm.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f4V_uaxBVOw
Badge +1
His Idle Moments album has been in my collection for a long time [...] and I am looking to see what else of his I can find that is just as good.
Idle Moment is one of my all time favourites.
But you can’t go wrong with any of his LP’s he made up to 1965.
Check out his LP’s with Larry Young on organ (‘Talkin’ About’ and ‘Street of Dreams’.
Check out this phenomenal 11 year old jazz pianist from Indonesia, who is taking the jazz world by storm.

Thank you, that is a great video. I had no idea that Indonesia had a jazz scene, leave along jazz prodigies like Joey. Remarkable. I wonder if he also improvises such that the song sounds different but the same each time he plays.
I found another good video with him that is long, but seems just as good. A little wordy in the beginning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOV2mONU8a0

Check out his LP’s with Larry Young on organ (‘Talkin’ About’ and ‘Street of Dreams’.

I will, thank you.