Recommended music - other than classical and pop

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

333 replies

Gato Barbieri. Pretty much everything he ever did. Such sultry, burning sax playing from him. I'm addicted to his Caliente! album right now...
Wes Montgomery's 'Fusion!' Loaded with strings, fantastic melodies, and, of course, Wes.
Yes... GREAT album! Been a fan of his for years, and actually have that one in my collection. I Fall In Love Too Easily is on it... I heard that song for the first time by Frank Sinatra several years ago and was blown away by the orchestration, melody, the voice... I couldn't get enough of it. I researched the song and saw it was not only written by Sammy Cahn, but was covered dozens of times, including by Chet Baker, Johnny Hartman, Miles, and yes... Tommy Flanagan. Anita O'Day even covered it.
Ahh ok, found THAT one:-).

Apple Music is a brilliant addition to my music listening and I keep discovering well known artistes I had no inkling about.

A recent find is Tommy Flanagan and in play often these days is his album The Magnificent Tommy Flanagan. Listen to the track Old Devil Moon for piano with swing and a very good rhythm section playing in tandem.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Magnificent-Tommy-Flanagan/dp/B000001DEI

From the link I note that it was Grammy nominated; for what that is worth and not a basis for my recommendation.
Sigh. Sorry. Moonlight. Midnight is a song he did with Brian Culbertson and Marcus Miller. Marcus Miller is another phenomenal player... bass driven songs with a funky style. I really enjoy listening to him play. First took notice of him in the 80s when he was backing David Sanborn.
Which Midnight album - I couldn't find it anywhere.
While I'm not really a fan of 'smooth jazz' genre (because that same back beat throughout every song gets old quickly), Steve Cole dances on the line... His Midnight album has lots of strings, and very minimal 'smooth jazz' feel to it. Other albums of his are back and forth on the tracks, but Midnight is fantastic.
Jaimee Paul - I like her Melancholy Baby.
Love Jm Tomlinson and Stacey Kent.
Pretty much anything by Jaimee Paul has me addicted these days. Also has a fantastic album called After The Ball, featuring Beegie Adair on piano.
Jim Tomlinson/Brazilian Sketches: reflective music with tasteful tenor sax blowing by Tomlinson, worth more than just a casual listen. He is more often cast in a role of having to provide music for his wife's (Stacey Kent) albums, but he is a noteworthy music maker on his own too.
Ken is reliably good. Venus has his "When you wish upon a Star" in two versions. Clarinet and tenor sax, almost the same song list in the same order. Both albums are excellent listening.
Streaming the Ken Peplowski Quintet live from Dizzy's Club Coca Cola. Livestream app -> Chromecast -> TV -> Sonos Playbar. Just got the Playbar yesterday, loving it!

http://livestream.com/watch/browse/music/live
Nina remains a favourite; I first sat up and took notice when I heard Lilac Wine. Subsequently, Mississippi Goddam! and others too. I found the piano album only recently, it really allows her voice to come forth in all its splendour.
Yeah, I think I still have #3 CD in the car. 😉 She's a great Cabaret singer.

Nina was unique, classically trained pianist, some of her stuff was very angry, but one hell of a singer and pianist. Her version of "I loves you Porgy" may be definitive.

Haven't heard of the others, will check them out, thanks!
More excellent, and new to me jazz singers, all women:
1. Aga Zaryan/Picking up the pieces
2. Meshell Ndegeocello/Pour une âme souverain; a dedication to Nina Simone
3. Ann Hampton Callaway/Easy Living
4. Nina Simone - I just discovered her classic album Nina Simone and Piano!
René Marie, live from Dizzy's Club Coca Cola, via the Livestream app. Great show. Check out Livestream, lots of great live jazz. Chromecasting to the TV, think I need to invest in a Playbar, LOL.
60 minutes profiled Joey last Sunday. His parents noticed his talent early on, and got him a piano tutor. Unfortunately, the tutor tried to push classical music, with all its rote learning and discipline on him. Nothin' doin', Joey is a free spirit, who plays what he feels.

Very different thing than a prodigy, I think. He should have a bright future. He played a couple of his own compositions last night. The interaction between him and the drummer was especially tight. Every. Beat. Exactly. On. Time. Fun to watch.
Yes, he is a prodigy.
Another in an area where I read it is rarer to find one is Francesco Cafiso, now grown up, with the tenor sax; I read somewhere that piano prodigies are like teenage tennis players to a large extent, more hard work than pure talent, probably driven by parents. I understand Cafiso could hold his own with the sax in a jazz environment at the age of 10. Some excellent albums from him on the Venus label.
I recently also discovered some very good Italian jazz piano trios - they are able to obtain very interesting piano voices. Leaders such as Renato Sellani, Danilo Rea, Enrico Pieranunzi. Any of their albums are at least good, many are excellent.
On this subject I don't see anything of any recorded performance attributed to the instruments used, for example which piano, or which double bass? Is it that it doesn't greatly matter? Or is it that audiophiles are the only ones that obsess about their kit?
Joey Alexander, LIVE at Lincoln Center. Could not get it to Chromecast into my Connect, grrrrr. Had to break out the Sonos Dock with the Lario adapter and route the sound from the iPad via airplay. Out of sync with the video, but this kid is amazing! Up past his bedtime. 😉
Thank you, great link, and it works fine. I will listen to it with a pair of quality headphones into the mac socket that will be a good way to do so.
Yeah, Scott Yanow's review on Allmusic.com has it as the best of the Piano Jazz series. I listened again today. Evans was a tragic figure, who could be difficult, but Marian brings him out brilliantly.

It's on NPR (if you can get to it from India), but you'll need Airplay or the like to hear it via your Sonos. NPR doesn''t even support Chromecast, sadly.

http://www.npr.org/2010/10/08/92185496/bill-evans-on-piano-jazz
In the search via Sonos here, the second one is the Steely Dan one, and there are 6-7 others. No Evans, though his other albums are available. Pity, that must be an interesting one.

What is for sale on iTunes here matches Apple Music - as expected both must have similar licensing deals, but more is available on iTunes. For example all ECM albums are for sale there, but I don't see any on Apple Music.
Yes, they are excellent - the Bill Evans isn't to be found there though, wherever I have looked.

Interesting, it's the second album in the list after searching her name here. Licensing issue, probably.
Yes, they are excellent - the Bill Evans isn't to be found there though, wherever I have looked.