Recommended music - other than classical and pop

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

333 replies

Only a few of Marian's "Piano Jazz" shows on Apple Music, but some good ones, including Bill Evans and Dave Brubreck. I used to tune in nearly every week back in the day. She had played with just about everyone in Jazz, so always had interesting reminiscences. Never interviews, always like listening in on a conversation between friends.
Recent recommended jazz finds, for late night but not soporific listening. New artistes and/or new recordings so the music sound both fresh and clear:
1. Barbara Carroll - any album of hers is close to, if not excellent. Tight trios with the Carroll voice in support and vice versa, on her Live at the Carlyle.
2. Marian McPartland - as good as ever, soloing on The Single Petal of A Rose. A tribute to Ellington.
3. Another great modern trio, the Jeff Hamilton Trio, The Best Things Happen.
4. The Claude Williamson Trio, Autumn in New York.
5. The little known tenor saxman, Bob Kindred on Blue Moon. Gentle Giant of the Tenor Sax is also excellent.
6. Nicki Parrott is a great double bass player. She also sings:-) - The Last Time I Saw Paris.

I am tempted to also buy these on iTunes, just in case. I am resisting for now, I expect Apple Music to be a long term provider of this and so much other excellent music.

Tony is a phenomenon.

A funny quote from a review of this effort:

"There’s a track on Tony Bennett’s new album, “The Silver Lining: The Songs of Jerome Kern,” that suggests a return to form: “I Won’t Dance,” which recently served as a his-and-hers set piece in his marquee collaboration with Lady Gaga.

This new version of the tune, arranged as a springlike waltz, features Mr. Bennett alone on vocals, with a sparkling piano trio. He sounds crisp but at ease, maybe a touch relieved — like someone given the chance, at last, to trade klieg lights for candle-glow."

Lol.
Tony's other new release (Sept 2015). Amazing how relevant he still is, both in Jazz and Pop. Like a fine wine that has aged so very well.

I had thought that I had heard most of jazz from the 1950s, until getting Apple Music working properly via Sonos last month.

Not true, there is probably more to hear from that time than what I have heard in the last fifteen years or so.

Likewise, I thought I had heard most of Benny Golson. Not true as well, and a couple of gems unearthed today are two albums - Free and Turning Point. Free has Golson with Ron Carter, Art Taylor and Tommy Flanagan, while TP has Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers and Jimmy Cobb. Both albums fully meet expectations that arise on reading those names on the album rosters.

Highly recommended, and the music sounds as fresh as yesterday!

With thanks to Sonos and Apple:-).
She sings on one of my go to tracks for checking out Sub performance and mid range clarity at the same time - 'Round Midnight, on the album of the same name. Most of the other songs on that one are also very strong late night numbers, but 'Round Midnight is brilliantly sung with very little instrumentation other than the bass.
Lovely versions of classic songs on Karrin Allyson's new album.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Had a look at my most played tracks on Google Music and picked out these select few:
3 artists, 6 tracks, and my guess is none may be familiar to anyone around here...

Dorothy - Syd Arthur
Chariots - Syd Arthur
Kano - Cid Rim
Extend Ranges - Cid Rim
Burn Out - The Cinematic Orchestra
Channel 1 Suite - The Cinematic Orchestra
Bill Charlap leads what is named New York Trio in Japan probably for licensing reasons, has put forth some excellent, if not very edgy jazz. A bunch of CDs out there, and I have Blues in the Midnight playing just now. Tight high energy piano trio, with a driving rhythm section as heard on "I could have danced all night".
A couple of recent finds that are excellent meetings of equals unlike the usual backing musicians for a singer.

Rossano Sportiello on piano with Nicki Parrott singing and on double bass:
People Will Say We Are In Love, and It's A Good Day.

Also, Jim Tomlinson on the sax with some tracks having Stacey Kent vocals on the album Brazilian Sketches. With both equally present on another good album, The Lyric. Both these albums have a strong Bossa Nova flavour to them, the first one particularly so, as the name would suggest. While Kent's Let Yourself Go; Celebrating The Music of Fred Astaire is just as good with songs associated with Astaire.
Two new to me singers, both putting out very good efforts:
1. Gregory Porter: Be Good, and Liquid Spirit
2. Cecile McLorin Salvant: Woman Child, and For One To Love.

Both making good use of modern high quality recording technology.
Now THAT is some sweet music right there! Just brought a new PC online... gonna christen it with some new music!
French pop singer Zaz turned to producer Quincy Jones to produce a great album of classic songs with her unique style and a big band backing. Here she is in a duet with the young Canadian jazz singer Nikki Yanofsky on Cole Porter's "I Love Paris".

http://youtu.be/fVPTtb9ov5s
......, compared to jazz lovers that are a lot more open to new ideas.
When does "new" start and end? Anthropomorphically speaking, most "new" jazz ideas are approaching retirement age aren't they? 😃
I could just as easily say that people that like classical music like a regimented life decided by someone that lived decades or even hundreds of years ago, compared to jazz lovers that are a lot more open to new ideas.

And I would be completely wrong in saying so.
I like classical music. I think, classical music is deeper, it means that people who prefer it to less-deep forms of music are more musically sophisticated.
Yes, I discovered him recently as well and picked up a good recent album - Gimcracks and Gewgaws.
Mose Allison has a unique style of playing, singing and songwriting. Great interpreter, too, especially his versions of Willie Dixon and Bukka White songs.

Ken Peplowski - another recent and excellent discovery. Straight ahead blowing sessions and a good introduction to him is his double album: When you wish upon a star.

Each song is played twice, clarinet and tenor sax and the Japanese recording is of the usual high standard. More great late night music.

On to the ever dependable Ron Carter, I recently found and liked his album " When skies are grey". With much of it having a bossa flavour, the music is far from grey.
I like my Hartman and Coltrane CD, but I found that he sounds the same on his other CDs, so I haven't more than just that one - admittedly very good - CD.
Never heard of Kurt before. Interesting stuff. Very reminiscent of Johnny Hartman.
Yep, Kurt is one of today's best jazz singers, IMO.
Very accomplished singer, on looking further I discovered his album The Latin Porter, that I bought. And in looking up his music I also discovered another good singer - Kurt Elling.