Answered

Your wireless network will not support the use of a Sub or surrounds with your Sonos Arc

• 18 March 2024
  • 7 replies

Getting this error in the sonos android app version 16.1

Have a sonos arc, a 'sub', and 2 play 1s. All connected through a 2.4ghz network on an Archer A10 router. With an RE650 wifi extender in the same room as the system. All of the pieces are connected to the same 2.4ghz network and all have IP addresses.

The surround and sub work for a bit if I factory reset the extender and they all connect to it but then stop working after a seemingly random amount of time. 

It's getting tedious having to reset my entire network every few days when I want to watch a movie. Has anyone had this issue and found a resolution?

icon

Best answer by nik9669a 18 March 2024, 01:50

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Getting this error in the sonos android app version 16.1

Have a sonos arc, a 'sub', and 2 play 1s. All connected through a 2.4ghz network on an Archer A10 router. With an RE650 wifi extender in the same room as the system. All of the pieces are connected to the same 2.4ghz network and all have IP addresses.

The surround and sub work for a bit if I factory reset the extender and they all connect to it but then stop working after a seemingly random amount of time. 

It's getting tedious having to reset my entire network every few days when I want to watch a movie. Has anyone had this issue and found a resolution?

1/ Do you mean all have reserved ip addresses? If not, do so. 
2/ Sonos doesn’t play nicely with wifi extenders. Do you really need it? 
3/ Is your wifi set to one of channels 1, 6 or 11, or on Auto? Set it to one of those 3 channels. 
4/ Stop resetting your whole system. Consider generating a diagnostics report after it happens again, if the steps above don’t help, and see what Sonos support suggest. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Is wifi on the Arc set to “on”?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

That was my first thought too… but @Epicnonja said ALL devices are connected wireless to the 2,4 Ghz wifi. 
Imo the wifi extender probably is the problem.

@Epicnonja

As Sonos generally is NOT compatible with wifi extenders that imo could be the reason for your problem. If possible try to install an access point or a cabled lan connection at least to the Arc. 

Banish the extender. The RE650 is a great one, but Sonos hates it. It’s also one which mangles the MAC address of client devices, potentially causing ARP confusion. Wiring the RE650 as an access point instead would be okay.

If the error message still appears then the network isn’t permitting the proxied assignment of IP addresses for the sub/surrounds via the Arc.

@nik9669a 

Yes everything has reserved ips

I need the extender for the second floor of the house but was able to bypass it for the sonos after everyone’s replies that extenders don’t work well and that seems to be working

Wifi was set to auto channel but has now been set to channel 6

I haven’t seen where I can generate a diagnostic through sonos, so will look into that if everything disconnects again.

@106rallye Yes wifi is set to on on all pieces including the arc

@Schlumpf With some creative naming and software I am able to have the sonos connect direct to router and still keep the extender for the places that need coverage, has been working, will update if that changes.

@ratty It’s really unfortunate that the extender could be the problem, it works so well for everything else but as above I have bypassed it for the sonos system.

If there is another instance of the error message I will be updating this topic and reviewing the ips for all sonos products.

Thanks everyone for the help and insights! Here’s hoping it was just the extender that was the issue!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Epicnonja 

Thx for the feedback and good to hear you were able to „ignore“ the extender for Sonos. The reason for extender problems is that Sonos uses multicast data packages and most wifi extenders don’t support that. 
If you will run into problems again you can find the option to send a diagnostic from within Sonos app under settings… support… „send diagnostic information“. (not sure if it exactly hits the german translation 😉)

That was my first thought too… but @Epicnonja said ALL devices are connected wireless to the 2,4 Ghz wifi. 
Imo the wifi extender probably is the problem.

@Epicnonja

As Sonos generally is NOT compatible with wifi extenders that imo could be the reason for your problem. If possible try to install an access point or a cabled lan connection at least to the Arc. 

I just had the same problem. Moved it from the WiFi extender to main WiFi. Set everything back up and works….for now!