Answered

Wireless update issues for Play:1 & Sub *when* in surround setup with ARC

• 3 January 2023
  • 5 replies

Curious if anyone else has seen or heard of similar: For the last several updates I have been unable to successfully install the update to my surround Play:1 speakers or Sub wirelessly.  I am uncertain which update this issue started, but probably before the S2 19.14 version as the first couple times it happened I didn’t realize this would be my new reality.  All my other S2 compatible speakers update without any issues.

My surround system consists of an ARC, two Play:1 speakers, and a Gen1 Sub.  Prior to the last two updates, I was only able to update the surrounds & sub by connecting them to my network via ethernet cable.  On wireless update, the update process would return either Error 30 or Error 1013 for these three speakers.

What I discovered over the last two updates, 14.19, and 14.20.1, if I remove the Sub and two surround Play:1 speakers from being part of the surround sound setup with the ARC, and instead have them as stand alone or unassigned speakers, then they will update wirelessly just fine.  So there seems to be some sort of compatibility issue between Sonos OS S2, ARC, and gen1 Play:1 and gen1 Sub when performing updates.

Has anyone else seen or heard of such a thing?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 3 January 2023, 16:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

That sure sounds like some wifi interference , particularly in the 5Ghz range, located near your Arc. Both your PLAY:1s, as surrounds, and your Sub are getting their signal directly from the Arc, not only for playback, but also for updating, and are not connected to either standard Wi-Fi, or SonosNet. If there is something interrupting the signal between the Arc and these devices, those errors would likely be showing up. And it could be low enough levels to not disturb playback, but affect the higher rate of data in an update.

While submitting a diagnostic within 10 minutes of such a failure would probably help Sonos pin down the issue, I suspect reading and following the suggestions in the linked FAQ might help you. 

I’ll pay closer attention when the next update comes out and, should the problem recur, simplify my RF environment and submit a diagnostic as you suggest.

I assumed it was a code related issue because I had many years of no problem updates to these satellite speakers & sub from the PlayBase they were originally connected to.  And I had a couple successful updates after upgrading from the PlayBase to the ARC and jumping to the S2 OS.  Since nothing else had changed in the environment but the code rev, that’s where my mind went.  

Until the next update is released….  :)

I’ve certainly had the occasional “failure” of one device to update, and have always chalked it up to wireless interference at the moment it does the check, since I’ve got all my IP addresses reserved. It’s always been successful for that one stubborn speaker the second time I’ve run the update, so it’s not something I’ve tracked (to see if it’s the same speaker each time) or really worried about. 

I tried to update to 15.1.1 build 71138240 today and experienced the same problems as I had before: everything S2 upgraded except the two Play:1 and one Sub that are part of the surround configuration with my ARC. 

I powered down and unplugged everything in my house except for my Sonos and networking equipment but I still received the same two error codes which seem to alternate between retries: 30 and 1013.

I spent a good 2 hours with support, sending multiple diagnostics over the course of the call.  Their ultimate solution?  The two I had already come up with: either go wired for networking or remove the 3 balky components from the surround configuration and update them as stand-alone units.  While the support tech tried his best to be helpful, he ultimately wanted to pin the problem on my firewall, which makes zero logical sense.

Sense or not, I guess when the next update comes around I’ll fire up a packet sniffer and grab my wifi analysis tools from the office to see if anything jumps out at me.  My gut still thinks this is a code/compatibility issue.

Whereas for the last three updates of S2, I’ve had zero difficulty whatsoever across my twenty plus Sonos devices, including several PLAY:1s and two Subs. I’m betting it isn’t a code/compatibility issue.