Answered

Will adding rear speakers (Era 100s or 300s) enhance dialogue clarity out of Arc?

• 6 January 2024
  • 5 replies

• Contributor II
  • 3 replies

I’m currently using Arc sound bar with a Sub (gen 3). I’m pleased with the system so far but there are certain movies (ie. The Batman) where the dialogue clarity just seems lower than I prefer. I toggle around with Treble, Speech Enhancement, turn off “Loudness” which helps a little bit. I understand some movies are just created a specific way.

Anyways, the next step would be to add Era 100s or 300s. I am wondering if that will enhance the Arc soundbars drivers to focus on dialogue? Appreciate any information on this. 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 6 January 2024, 05:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Just enable subtitles for movies starring ‘Mumbleman’.

However, that shouldn’t affect the center (dialog) channel, just the right and left. And I suspect 90% of that is more psychological than not. 

Userlevel 7

I would imagine adding surrounds would help a little as the front soundstage will be less cluttered with the combined audio channels. But don’t expect a dramatic improvement.

Hi Airgetlam,

I appreciate your response. I have watched other movies and have been pleased. Glad someone else noticed that about The Batman. I guess my thought process was, if the surround speakers take some of the audio away from the soundbar then maybe the soundbar itself can pronounce itself more.

In answer to your question, no. Rear speakers, traditionally know as ‘surrounds’, carry a completely separate signal, and adding them would have no effect on the center channel of the Arc. 

I have never been a fan of ‘The Batman’, even in the theater, for exactly the reason you’re experiencing. I thought it was poorly mixed. You may want to try another movie as your ‘test’.