Will a sub change the sound(of course…)

• 16 February 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 106 replies

Hi y’all Forum users👋

In this discussion i need som enlightning from someone with a better understanding than me.

I run you with some info(feels like i’m repeat myself…) anyway

We’re at grannys place,my bedroom upstairs. It’s a small room,probobly 2.5m x 4m…full height(210/220cm) on half the sealing,other half dropping and on that side where the roof is lower to the floor(around 100-110cm) there is the housing of a staircase between first’n secound floor making it smaller on the side my head will be in the bed(the wideness). Idk if this is usefull info but now you get an idea of the room.

There is a cabinet(pretty high…perhaps 120x180x40cm) witch my LG 32” and the Ray is placed.

The issue/problem is:

I think the bass from the Ray is from the front(of course it is…) given me no other alternative to lower it to -4 in the EQ. It’s too directional for my taste like i can “see” where the bass is coming from in a way.

This is(or was planned) as a budget setup. I had no intention to use or put expencive aquipment here. There will be som surrounds coming either the Era 100 on a wall-mount,the Ikea Book Shelf or most likely the Ikea Picture Frame. Not decided yet.

So my wonder will be…will a sub move the directed bass from the front of the Ray to the whole room as i would like but be too much? Again,there ain’t much room to place it near the small wall near my future surrounds. It might be forced to be placed near the Ray or somwhere like that.

If i choose a Gen-sub i could place lying on it’s side under my bed,but then i’m not on a budget anymore.

Or will adding surrounds help my “problem”?

I will mostly be using it to watch Youtube and perhaps radio during the night while asleep…if it’s too much i got the Roam SL on the bedside-table.

But my main problem here is the focused bass from the Ray. 
PS: My granny will not notice if i add a sub to my system,she don’t hear so well anyway.

Have a Blessed Day🙏

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@BOL74

Hey Ho… 😉

This issue highly seems to depend on the room situation and from outside imo it’s quite difficult to give an advice. But I suppose that any sub could be an overkill for the small room. So lowering the bass via eq might be the best option. I suppose doing a trueplay setup can get the best output. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

#Schlumpf

Well i have done a couple of trueplay-runs…have been fiddeling with the EQ…but i still have a sort of irretating bass coming from a destingt place…the front of the Ray. I know it sounds like a big deal but non of my other set-up got this problem(if there is a problem). But i might be thinking that: My listening-position is basicly in a corner and that’s got to do with the room-shape as you said. But if i get a Gen-sub it will probobly a bit overkill,but what if i put it under my bed near the corner and turn it waaaay down. Will this be a fix. I can’t fit a Sub Mini under my bed,and any other place i probobly will have the same issue as i allready got. Maybe i need to try move the bed out from the corner and more in the middle of the back-wall. 
If i do so my granny probobly gonna ask a lot of questions bout having a bed in the middle of the room. Need to think it over…

You may need to move the bed. Overall, bass is nasty because bass and the room interact significantly. You can investigate this with a stack of Post-it’s and a magic marker. Play a track with thumping bass and walk the room very close to the walls. As you walk you’ll notice some locations where the bass is accentuated. Mark this spot with a Post-it and continue to walk. You will also notice a few spots where the bass is doubly accentuated. Mark this spot with “!!”. When you are done, the Post-it’s will be more or less regularly distributed around the room. The Post-it’s are “peak” locations and midway between the peaks there will be a “null” where the base is minimized. Placing a listener or subwoofer at a peak will increase the bass.