Skip to main content

Why no warning that disabling the Beam’s WiFi stops the Sub Mini working?

• 23 December 2023
  • 1 reply

So after upgrading my home network, I had the option to hardware my Beam G2. Seemed like a no brainier, my WiFi was getting reasonably congested and wired is alway better when available. I also saw the option to disable WiFi, so of course I thought why not. 

I spend the next two days trying to figure why no audio was coming from the Sub Mini. My 2 rear One’s were working, and they are WiFi, so I didn’t consider it was the WiFi option I disabled. I re-added the sub and the app reported everything as being connected just fine. Eventually found out that it was disabling the WiFi that was the problem. I understand now that it requires a direct connection to the Beam (odd when the much older Ones don’t, but whatever) But not reporting/warning this when you do it, and saying the system is running and connected OK, is a massive oversight for such a usually polished experience. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

The less than clear naming convention of that function has been complained about since the day it appeared, for the exact reason you list.  For some reason, Sonos hasn’t addressed it.  A warning, either static or dynamic, would suffice, but there doesn’t seem to be any concern.