Answered

What should height effects sound like on the Arc? and how to tilt it?

• 16 November 2023
  • 4 replies

Should they sound like they are directly above the listener on the couch? or should they sound like they are coming from above the the TV/soundbar?

I watched Roma(Atmos confirmed in app) during the forest fire scene, and played with the height volume. It definitely made a difference in terms of sonics but I could mainly place the sound, not directly above my head, but more above the TV towards the ceiling. I didn't get a feeling like it was directly above me or around me in a 360 effect.

My sound bar is on a media unit. The top firing drivers are not obscured by anything. The bottom of the sound bar is 6ft 4 inches from the ceiling which is flat. My listening position is approximately 7ft 8 from the soundbar.

Peter Pee's arc placement video says I may need to til the rear of the soundbar forwards by an inch, to fully optimise the height channels. Has anyone else done this? if so, how far do you wedge something into the back of the Sonos to raise? i.e where should I be measuring the inch from?

Would love to hear someone else's thoughts, as I've never heard Atmos before.

thank you.

and please ignore the bad cable management!

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 17 November 2023, 01:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d work on getting to the Sonos suggested positioning before trying other options. Arc Guide:

• Keep 4" (102mm) space (minimum) between the top of the soundbar and the bottom of your TV (if placing soundbar below the TV).

Raising your TV should get you to that point. I find having it a few inches in front of the TV also seems to help.

Since my Arc sets a couple inches back from the front of my cabinet is added supports to raise the Arc a bit above the counter-top to avoid any reflections coming from it.

If you want to tilt it you could have brackets made that attach to the Arc’s mounting holes.

Are you using surround speakers? If so, which model?

I’d work on getting to the Sonos suggested positioning before trying other options. Arc Guide:

• Keep 4" (102mm) space (minimum) between the top of the soundbar and the bottom of your TV (if placing soundbar below the TV).

Raising your TV should get you to that point. I find having it a few inches in front of the TV also seems to help.

Since my Arc sets a couple inches back from the front of my cabinet is added supports to raise the Arc a bit above the counter-top to avoid any reflections coming from it.

If you want to tilt it you could have brackets made that attach to the Arc’s mounting holes.

thanks for the reply. at present it is not directly under the TV. it clears the TV by a considerable amount. and is on the edge of my cabinet.

Are you using surround speakers? If so, which model?

yes, I have era 100 surrounds which I'm aware do not have atmos, but the arc does.