Answered

Using Virgin Media remote with Sonos Ray

• 13 January 2023
  • 5 replies

I've just bought a Hisense TV and a Sonos Ray soundbar, and they sound lovely together. But like many others I've hit a problem controlling the volume with a remote.

I think the TV remote is a no-go, because it is RF not IR. But I also have an ancient Virginmedia remote that controls my V6 box, and I feel that ought to work. But so far, no luck.

When I go through the TV remote setup on the Sonos app it asks me to hit the volume key three times. When I do, a light flashes three times on the Ray, so it's definitely received some kind of signal. But it produces the message

We didn't detect a signal from your TV remote. Point it directly at your Ray when you press the button.

I also have a remote for my DVD player and that got further in the setup. But it doesn't have a mute button, so I got stuck at that point.

Any suggestions, or am I stuck with the app and the buttons on the Ray?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 13 January 2023, 19:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I have VM V6 TV remote (see attached photo) it works with infrared and I have programmed it to work with the TV and it will work with my Sonos Ray. Is your remote the same or different and have you followed the help in the TV settings to programme the remote? - you could ‘probably’ set it up to control any brand/model of TV for it to work with the Ray.

The TV volume code I used for my TV is 0301 - so you could perhaps just try that.

Your remote looks the same as mine which is promising.  But how does one enter a TV volume code?

Goto Home/Help & Settings/Help/Virgin TV and select ‘Programme your remote’ and follow instructions on screen, or try with the code I posted, unless you want to use your own TV make etc.

HTH

Thanks Ken!

I followed your advice and used the Virgin Media menus to program the remote, then used the Sonos app to get the Ray to recognise it. Now it works. I used code 0301