Skip to main content
Answered

using rear speakers possible when amp is powered off?

• 28 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi there,

I'm planning to purchase a Sonos amp and replace my AVR. I already own a Sonos One and I really fell in love with the app, the simplicity and the lack of cable clutter. However, I want to keep my passive speakers.

I have a specific use case that I can't find an answer to, and I'm hoping you can help me out. 

Here's the setup I'm interested in:

Amp + 2 passive speakers + 2 Sonos One as rear speakers for TV and music (Streaming + turntable)

I only have the opportunity to watch TV and listen to my vinyl records a few days a week max. due to young children. I understand that Sonos devices are designed to be powered on continuously. However, I'd like to pull the plug amp and only switch it on when needed.

Is it possible to use the Sonos One speakers independently when the amp is powered off, even though they are configured as rear speakers? I want to use them for Spotify, Internet Radio, and voice control. It would be great if I could use them in stereo mode.

Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Unfortunately not, at least in the way you describe. You’d need to “unbond” them as surrounds before powering off the Amp, and then set them up as a stereo pair. Then reverse the sequence to re-establish your home cinema setup next time you want the 5.x sound for movies. 
It’s an often-asked-for capability…

Ah that's unfortunate.

However, thank you very much for your fast reply!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The Amp uses very little power, 7.3 Watts, once it automatically drops to Standby Mode so I wouldn’t worry about that.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-power-consumption-while-idle

Set the Surrounds to Full Mode for music and you’ll be really happy.