Answered

Using multiple Shops Play 5 speakers from a line in input

• 20 November 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi, at our football club, I'm currently extracting audio from hdmi (Digital TV, DVD player and Firestick) and sending to a very loud powered speaker. However, despite the very loud capabilities, the sound doesn't travel well through the club, when there are large groups of people.

I need to look at a way to have multiple speakers around the club.  So want to take the audio extract (3.5mm headphone connection) and am wondering if I can either a) split it into multiple Sonos Play 5s or b) send to one Sonos Play 5, and then this can be wirelessly shared to the other Play 5s.   (I'm thinking of getting 3 X Play 5s).

Would a) or b) work, and further, would the split signal be strong enough or would I need to use any amplifier?

icon

Best answer by buzz 20 November 2022, 10:41

View original

3 replies

Each SONOS “Room” (Individual speaker, pairs of speakers, or soundbar and surrounds) can play a different source or Rooms can be “Grouped” to play the same source. This source can be a PLAY:5’s Line-In. Connect your 3.5mm to any PLAY:5. Up to 32 SONOS units are supported.

I recommend that you wire as many players to the network as is practical. Humans are mostly bags of water. As your club fills with water bags, wireless coverage degrades. It’s hard to predict exactly what will happen. A common nag is that the system works fine when tested (while the club is empty), but struggles when the club is full. If the wireless speakers are above the crowd, there is lower risk.

Thanks Buzz, so if I connect the line in to one Play 5, this source can be played wirelessly to all speakers in Sonos network. This could be useful as I would only need to worry about wiring my source to a single speaker but have the sound throughout the building.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Be aware Sonos needs 75ms to buffer an analogue signal - so image and sound will not totally be in sync.