Unidirectional HDMI

• 18 June 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge

I am planning on running a 75 foot Fiber Optic HDMI cable between my patio TV’s ARC input and my Sonos Amp inside.  The cable I bought is unidirectional and so the side you hook up to what is important.  My electrician will be running this through the walls so don’t want to make a mistake.

I have 2 sides, one says “Source” and one says “Display”.  In my case, I am not passing video so I am a bit confused as the TV can be the source and the display.

I believe the “Display” side should be the TV in this case but want to triple check with anyone who has run this sort of configuration before

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Edit:

Sorry just reread your post! 😣

Ques 1/ Can you confirm that your goal here is to output the Amp audio to your TV Arc?

I would suggest that the Source is the input and the Display is the output.  If that is the case and the answer to Ques 1 is Yes, then the Source would connect to the Amp and the Display/Output would connect to the TV Arc input.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I don’t think this will work, but I’ve never heard of a unidirectional HDMI cable.

ARC passes data both ways: audio goes from the TV to the audio device, but CEC goes both ways as a part of the connection/codec negotiations. ARC can’t work without CEC. (Now eARC CAN theoretcially work without CEC if the Ethernet-over-hdmi is supported by both ends and the cable, but again that is bidirectional).

I would certainly test this cable with the devices in a pile on the floor next to each other before wiring it into a wall.

Badge

Edit:

Sorry just reread your post! 😣

Ques 1/ Can you confirm that your goal here is to output the Amp audio to your TV Arc?

I would suggest that the Source is the input and the Display is the output.  If that is the case and the answer to Ques 1 is Yes, then the Source would connect to the Amp and the Display/Output would connect to the TV Arc input.

My goal is to connect a Roku to an outdoor TV via HDMI, run an HDMI cable from TV outside to Sonos Amp inside to be able to pass the audio back from the TV/Roku to the Sonos Amp and listen to the TV over my outdoor speakings in the ceiling of my covered patio.  The reason I am using a directional / fiber optic HDMI is bc the run is prob 50-75 feet and a standard HDMI isn’t great at handling that distance

Badge

I don’t think this will work, but I’ve never heard of a unidirectional HDMI cable.

ARC passes data both ways: audio goes from the TV to the audio device, but CEC goes both ways as a part of the connection/codec negotiations. ARC can’t work without CEC. (Now eARC CAN theoretcially work without CEC if the Ethernet-over-hdmi is supported by both ends and the cable, but again that is bidirectional).

I would certainly test this cable with the devices in a pile on the floor next to each other before wiring it into a wall.

I unfortunately can’t test this as everything is being built at the moment and I don’t have the Sonos Amp or the speakers.  I suppose I can waste some $ and have the installer run two of these cables, one in each direction so it’s foolproof.

For reference, this is the cable I purchased and intended to use: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09ZXQJHYN/ref=dp_iou_view_item?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My other option would be to use an HDMI Balun and send the ARC over Ethernet / Cat6 but I was trying to avoid introducing another fail point into the equation

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Great comments from @controlav 

I would recommend using HDMI Ethernet connectors. https://www.cabledepot.co.uk/30m-hdmi-extender-over-ethernet-cable-cat5-cat6-p-636.html?gad=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1rqkBhCTARIsAAHz7K3O5eMEshsnnCYl9Jtmv7CHc5vJ3zpbaiJfPiCAv0OPbeCGGsTfYswaAoOjEALw_wcB

No restrictions and proven.

Badge

Ok so maybe back to square 1 which is what my original idea was. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HH1212W?ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_dp_ZWA4P5K5C992YPV102VS_3

Badge

And if I do end up using an HDBaseT to send the audio signal back will I be able to control the Roku / TV volume using the Roku remote and it will send the volume control back to the amp to increase / lower the volume?

I’ve seen this solution but don’t have access to purchase as I am not a dealer: https://www.snapav.com/shop/en/snapav/binary-audio-return-extender-for-hdmi-arc-and-spdif-b-260-arc-a

The unit that you found on Amazon should work. Full disclosure: I have no experience with this type of unit.

HDMI-ARC over CAT-6 is a relatively new development. At this point very few devices support this.