Answered

Unable to set up my new system (no 'Set up a new system' option)

• 18 September 2021
  • 19 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi everyone,

My Sonos Arc arrived today and I am somehow falling at the first hurdle just setting it up so would be grateful for some advice!

Having connected the Arc to the mains, TV eARC port and wired network and downloaded the Sonos Android app (v13.0.1) I don’t appear to have the ‘Set up a new system’ option when opening app as described here. Instead, all I get is ‘Join existing system’ which, when selected, fails to find anything.

Any help gratefully received, not least as it took a lot of effort convincing my wife that we should spend £899 on this and she’s staring at me with a look of ‘I thought you said this was premium?!’… I’m therefore hoping this is plain and simple user error… What am I doing wrong? I must be overlooking something obvious!

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 18 September 2021, 17:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 7

Is this your first Sonos speaker or do you own other Sonos devices?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi GuitarSuperstar, it’s my first ever Sonos product.

Userlevel 7

Disconnect the Arc from the TV and network and unplug the Arc from power for about two minutes. Reboot your router. Plug the Arc back in but keep it disconnected from the TV and network. Delete and reinstall the Sonos app and try setting up the Arc again by following the instructions from the app.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

My issue though is that the app only gives me the option of ‘Join an existing system’… or is this to be expected?

Userlevel 7

Also be sure your phone meets the minimum requirements:

• iOS 12 and higher
  • iPadOS 13 and higher
  • Android 8.0 and higher (Not supported on Chromebooks)
  • Fire OS 7 and higher
Userlevel 2
Badge +2

To help clarify, here’s what I see:

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Also be sure yourphone meets the minimum requirements:

• iOS 12 and higher
  • iPadOS 13 and higher
  • Android 8.0 and higher (Not supported on Chromebooks)
  • Fire OS 7 and higher

Ah, the Android version… I’m on v7! So it’s not supported then? Wonder why it let it be downloaded?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Just found from here that Sonos S2 on Android v7 ‘will not receive updates but can still be used to control commonly used features of Sonos’ but I guess adding a new product isn’t considered a commonly used feature?

Userlevel 7

If you want to set up a new system and add the Arc, your phone needs to meet the minimum system requirements.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Okay, that’s a shame. Thanks for the quick help though - saves me scratching my head further.

If there’s no workaround it looks like we’ll be returning the Arc as we can’t justify replacing our phones just for this.

You could temporarily borrow a friends device in order to get it set up, if you desired.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

You could temporarily borrow a friends device in order to get it set up, if you desired.

Ah, that’s a idea! Will give it a go (and see how far our own apps will get us after that)...

I just hate the process of returning items I’ve purchased. ;) Would much rather buy a pizza and beer for a friend who’s willing to let me ‘borrow’ a few minutes of time in their phone to get the device set up!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I just hate the process of returning items I’ve purchased. ;) Would much rather buy a pizza and beer for a friend who’s willing to let me ‘borrow’ a few minutes of time in their phone to get the device set up!

:grin:

I’ve just done that actually - bar the pizza and beer (he owes me one anyway!) - and got the Arc set up now. My wife and I, with our ageing phones, have been able to use our Sonos apps with the ‘Join existing system’ option and appear to have access to everything I expect we’ll need. The app does now say ‘This version of Android is no longer supported...’ across the top - if only it had said that at the beginning and, even better, pointed out that this meant the ‘Set new system’ wasn’t available!

Thanks everyone for the help.

P.S. I am sitting here typing this message upstairs with music blaring out in the lounge and my wife and daughter dancing around so hopefully that’s a good sign she’s accepted the new (expensive) purchase!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Just discovered that Trueplay isn’t available on Android (even my friend’s version) so will have to find someone else for that. Come on Sonos - I’m running out of friends here! :astonished:

TruePlay is a mixed bag. Helpful sometime, doesn’t make a difference other times. Don’t consider it a requirement. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Okay, thanks. It's probably more my OCD that pushes me to 'optimise' things, or at least having the feeling of contentment that that's what I've done! 

Get a pre-owned iPod Touch 6th Gen off eBay. Trueplay and, at least for now, fully supported by Sonos since it runs iOS 12.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thanks for the idea, but I feel we've spent enough as it is! :-) 

One day we'll get new(er) phones, and I'll find someone with an iPhone to try out Trueplay at some point.