Skip to main content

I am unable to add my Ray sound bar to my System; my two One SL speakers are still working fine over WiFi.

I bought all three back in December 2022 and everything was working fine until a few weeks ago, when the Ray no longer appeared in the Sonos app (iOS). It was still working as a sound bar for my TV, but I couldn’t control it with my Sonos app. 

I can see and control the One SL speakers with the Sonos app, but the Ray will not complete registration and cannot be added to my system. 

1. I have done the factory-reset process on the Ray about 7 times, using the Sonos app on my iPhone. 
  2. It goes through the ‘Add Speaker or Component’ process until it gets to the end where it wants to register the Ray to my System and it says “There was a problem adding your Ray to your system. Try again later.”
  3. I click Done and under my System it shows the Ray, but with an exclamation point and directing me to Fix It.
  4. When I try to fix it as directed, it gives me the same “There was a problem adding your Ray” message and then the Ray disappears from my System.

I have tried the above with the Ray connected over both WiFi and Ethernet (with two different cables), neither method allows the Ray to be added to my system.

Since I can’t add the Ray to my system, the Ray no longer works as a sound bar for my TV and is effectively dead in the water.

Under the Sonos app ‘About my System’ it says:

Sonos OS: S2

Build 80.00.04

Sonos ID: Unavailable

Model:48

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Same problem!  Same result. 

Same problem here.  This is maddening.  Sonos needs to get this fixed, ASAP.

It’s the new app. It’s screwing up everything that needs to be added. I’ve got the same problem with my sub

Same problem! 

And unable to register it otherwise (e.g. via web) 

Any idea when the fix is available? 

So I was finally able to add my Ray back enough so that it could be used as a sound bar for my TV again.

After I got it to show up in the app, the Ray said that it was Not Registered but it was still in my system. But once I turned off the TV, the Ray immediately disappeared from the app. But when I turned the TV back on, the Ray continued to work as the sound bar, even though it wasn’t listed in my Sonos system. But at least it is working half-way….

The steps I took to get it working halfway again as a sound bar ONLY (still doesn’t show up in Sonos app) —

1. I signed out of the Sonos app and restarted my iPhone (not sure if necessary to restart phone, but couldn’t hurt)
  2. While phone was restarting I did a factory reset on the Ray
  3. When I signed back into the Sonos app it told me that an App Updated was required in order to add new components.
  4. I updated the Sonos app (now Build 80.00.08, and now a Sonos ID is showing where as before it was Unidentified)
  5. I followed the app directions to add my Ray, but once again it got stuck at the step of the WiFi password. Even though I copied and pasted it, it kept saying it was incorrect and would not accept it. Even though my two One SL speakers are using the same WiFi network & password.
  6. It gave an option to connect with Ethernet, so I ran a cable from the Ray to my router and let it finally complete. After it was finished I disconnected the Ethernet cable from the Ray and my router.
  7. Went through the process of setting up my TV audio & remote with the Ray.
  8. Confirmed that the Ray was playing TV audio. *** Note— At this point the Ray showed up in my Sonos app as Not Registered, but I could use it as a TV sound bar. ***
  9. As soon as I turned off the TV, the Ray disappeared from the Sonos app.
  10. Turned TV back on to see if the Ray is still working for TV audio, which it is. But since the Ray isn’t in the Sonos app, you obviously can’t control or stream to it using the app. Only works using the TV remote for volume control.

Sonos clearly needs to fix their app as they have completely broken things. THIS page describing the app’s new features mentions:

Known issues and workarounds

“Fix It” option does not successfully complete new product setup

• Workarounds:
    • Sign out of the Sonos app, sign back in, and try again.
    • Force quit the Sonos app and try again.

Build 80.01.10 (looks like build was done on May 17th) still has the problem. 

Please fix! 

@Keith N 

Above is a link to one of your posts. But seems not to fix issues w/ Ray and latest iOS app :-(

Is your team aware of this or should we/I contact support? 

It is a little odd. The Ray is new and due to registration issues I haven't been able to use it. 😞 :-( 

Same problem w/ 80.01.11

Problem got solved. 

Looks like a backend fix, since I did not update the iOS client 

Thanks for adressing this issue 

I have the same problem. Since Sonos made an update a month ago I cant conect my Ray. If sombody knows how to fix it? Tried everything.

Problem got solved. 

Looks like a backend fix, since I did not update the iOS client 

Thanks for adressing this issue 

Same here. I just went back into the Sonos app on my iPhone, and when I clicked on ‘Fix It’ under my Ray in my System Settings, it finally finished adding it to my system. Everything seems to be working again. Thank you Sonos for finally fixing it.

Once I had it working again, under System Updates I turned off the option to ‘Update Automatically’, hoping that will keep it from breaking itself in the future.

Same problem. App not updating ray so its not connecting to tv  . Then won't register ray

I’m having the same problem right now. I go through the setup, everything’s fine until at the end after choosing what room my Sonos Ray is going to be and then it goes to error 1101. I’ve rebooted everything, turned off my WiFi, rebooted the soundbar, redownloaded the app and turning my phone off.

I had the same problem with the iPhone app setup failing at the check for update stage with error 1101. I tried using Ethernet, an iPad, many resets and even another router/wifi network. I downloaded the Mac app on to my MacBook and tried using that. I could see that the Ray was connected to my network so I told the app to connect to an existing system. It was found, updated and registered to my account. I then went back to the iOS app and it was found and I was able to complete the setup with my TV. 

Not sure I will be with community long.   I’m having the same problem right now with my new Ray. I go through the setup, everything’s fine until at the end after choosing what room my Sonos Ray is going to be and then it goes to error 1101. I’ve rebooted everything, turned off my WiFi, rebooted the soundbar, redownloaded the app and turning my phone off.   Not the best first experience with Sonos   It could be going back tomo.   Now just a useless lump in front of tv

Same problem stuck at the update required. Will be taking it back. Happy with my one and five. Very disappointed.

I had this problem up until today as well. The solution for me was to download the app on my windows pc. Once I was logged on I was able to add and update my system. After I was also able to see it in the app on my Android phone and it's working as intended. Much thanks to Sonos support for the tip! 

How can you download it on macbook? I went to the website or to app sore and both said - there is noapp for computer, only iphone and ipad. So I’m stuck. The chat support was useless and told me to call them, because they can’t fix it via internet. It’s really frustrating. I rebooted everything and spent 2 hours trying to fix it and it’s still not working. Will be probably be easier to return and buy something more reliable.

Treated myself to my first Sonos with the ray soundbar. Assumed such a lovely ecosystem it’ll be a quick set up. 
downloaded the app to my iPhone, went to set up, WiFi password issue (definitely not the password at fault), reset and went again, restarted router, went and did a dance in the garden. Still nothing. rinse and repeat multiple times. 
Connected a cable to my router and still it wouldn’t register. failed when adding a device to a room then refused to set up. Cue next reset and go again. 

all boxed up and going back to Amazon tomorrow. 

Disappointing Sonos. Poor app or hardware. wasted two hours of my evening I’ll never get back. 

I had this problem up until today as well. The solution for me was to download the app on my windows pc. Once I was logged on I was able to add and update my system. After I was also able to see it in the app on my Android phone and it's working as intended. Much thanks to Sonos support for the tip! 

Many thanks Y.W. Took a few days and a few reboots but finally got there. Thanks for the tip about going through Windows tablet first.

Regards,

Piz

exact same problem as many above, very frustrating

well guys ive just figured it out after 2 hours

i downloaded the app on my macbook and i was able to update to device on it and is now all set up. I then just joined the existing system on my phone and can now control from there