Two Sub Mini's

The best thing about Sonos is their modular structure and the freedom that gives the consumer to build the setup they want. So why on earth are they not allowing two sub mini’s as they do with two subs? I’ve heard a ton of people that prefer an even distribution of lows rather than more powerful lows and we should have the option to choose between them. Especially if you live in an apartment. There is an artificial barrier that sonos has set up to try and force people to pick a sub instead of two sub minis that i don’t understand considering they make money out of the two options. 

30 replies

Sonos had stated the reason for this was that a single sub has more volume output than a pair of sub minis.  I would guess that the costs associated with supporting that setup was at least part of the reason as well. 

Regardless, it would be nice to migrate from 1 mini to 2, rather than get a full size sub and then need to use the Mini in another room or what have you.

Yeah, that’s what i’ve heard but most people living in apartments don’t want more volume. I would dare say the sub mini’s main customer is people living in apartments. So why not let them have two sub minis to even the low’s distribution in their living room. 

And i totally agree with you on the second point. Minis are more versatile and fit a ton of setups because of their size. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @fedetch 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thank you - I've marked this thread as a feature request and it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration. Keep the ideas coming!

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi everyone….

Just wonder if anyone have any update on this topic. I am allso interested in purcase 2xSub Mini if they will be availible for dual conf.

For those who are assosiated with Sonos: The Gen 3 will still be wanted,but for those who might have a issue with the square box-style G3 and would like the looks of the cylindric Mini instead.

And i’m allso on the train for dual sub conf for any stereo-pair.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @BOL74 

No, no update, but what I can tell you is that IF we do implement this feature, there will be no prior warning - it will be impossible one day, possible the next, it being announced that same day.

Please note the deliberate and hopefully obvious emphasis on “if”. I understand the reasoning behind being unable to dual-sub Sub Minis, but I don’t know if aesthetic reasons were considered when the decision not to allow it was made.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos knows history!

The Osborne Effect

According to proponents of the Osborne Effect, Adam Osborne damaged his company's current sales when he began showing the Osborne Executive to journalists in early 1983. Dealers rapidly started cancelling orders for the Osborne 1 in anticipation of the new Executive. Unsold inventory piled up and in spite of dramatic price cuts – the Osborne 1 was selling for $1295 in July 1983 and $995 by August – sales did not recover. Losses, already higher than expected, continued to mount, and OCC declared bankruptcy on September 13, 1983. 

https://infogalactic.com/info/Osborne_Computer_Corporation#The_Osborne_Effect

I would like to second the addition of this feature. 

Although, not for aesthetic reasons. 

I think there’s lot of us who bought a sub mini for our small/medium sized apartments to later discover we have huge bass nulls in our MLP’s. 

So now that we’re stuck with the sunken cost of our first mini (not that we regret it), it would be nice to have the ability to add a second just to smooth things out. 

I don’t need the power of a full sized sub, just an even bass response throughout my living room. 

If any progress has been made on this front already I’d be excited to hear about it. 

Thanks everybody at Sonos!

You can negate bass nulls at the MLP by moving the sub around the room.  The old trick is to put the sub on the seating area, then crawl around on floor to the possible placement positions.  Whichever one sound the best, put the sub there. 

Either that, or switch the phase setting for the sub.  That will shift the nulls in the room, hopefully getting your MLP in a good spot. 

Could someone please confirm that 2 Sub Mini can NOT be connected together?

Thanks   

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Rick H. 

I can confirm that, at present, you cannot configure two Sub Minis to be in the same room/zone in the app.

I hope this helps.

Can you recommend rear speakers for me?  Arc with a sub-mini, looking for the surround finish package.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Can you recommend rear speakers for me?  Arc with a sub-mini, looking for the surround finish package.

Era 100’s or Era 300’s. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

#Rick H.

Hello there….

You’re looking for a couple of Sonos surround speakers…well,i have not tested “all” Sonos speakers but i guess there are plenty of members here who can give you an idea of their opinion. It all comes down to how much money you wanna spend and what the room size//lay-out.

Personally i’m very found of the cheep Ikea Bookshielf-speakers(Ikea BS Red.anm). I think they sound better than a set of Sonos Play:1(One/SL).  And they are under $200 for a pair. But for the ultimate cinema-setup you will hear from many that the Era 300 is one of the best alternative. If you listen to music….the Sonos Five.

I have got the Era 100 in my setup…they are impressive for the size,but as you know…you just need moore when you started to discover Sonos….so i’m gonna look for an opertunety to replace them with the Era 300 down the road….

Have a Nice Day🙏

Userlevel 1
Badge

Corry, or anyone, If in one large physical room, I have a “room” with a TV with BEAM 2 and a sub mini, and ALSO in that same physical room have a second “room” with a SONOS AMP with passive speakers and another sub mini, can’t I simply “group” the two “rooms” and then I’ll have two sub minis playing the same source at the same time?

Yes. 

Let me be more verbose. ;) The one per room restriction is only with a Sonos ‘room’. You could have ten ‘rooms’ of Sonos speakers in the same physical room, and have a mini Sub bonded with each Sonos ’room’.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Ok then…….. that brings the next logical question.  Can a Sonos room contain JUST a sub mini?  Or does it require a center or other “base” speaker for room conception to commence?

No. The Sub, be it standard or mini, requires a speaker for it to be ‘bonded’ to. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

New question regarding two sub minis: If I have two Sonos amps in a single Sonos room, I would expect to be able to run 2 Sonos mini subs in that single room. Is that a safe assumption? Each amp would have its own Sonos mini sub connected to it.

I'm certain Sonos will allow you to have two amps in a single room, correct?

Userlevel 1
Badge

And I'm so sorry one more question.

In the app for my 1st sub mini that's connected to my amp, I see one slider for volume level, and a second slider for crossover level. But my 2nd submini that I have connected to my TV in the living room,  only has a volume slider adjustment, and I don't see the crossover slider adjustment. Does Sonos only give you the crossover slider when it's connected to an amp?

New question regarding two sub minis: If I have two Sonos amps in a single Sonos room, I would expect to be able to run 2 Sonos mini subs in that single room. Is that a safe assumption? Each amp would have its own Sonos mini sub connected to it.

I'm certain Sonos will allow you to have two amps in a single room, correct?

You can’t have 2 Amps bonded as a single room, but you can group two rooms together to play in sync. 

And I'm so sorry one more question.

In the app for my 1st sub mini that's connected to my amp, I see one slider for volume level, and a second slider for crossover level. But my 2nd submini that I have connected to my TV in the living room,  only has a volume slider adjustment, and I don't see the crossover slider adjustment. Does Sonos only give you the crossover slider when it's connected to an amp?

A crossover setting is dependent on the performance of the speakers.  Since an Amp can power any passive speaker, it has an adjustable crossover so you can tune it to the performance of the speakers you choose.  Sonos sets the crossover to an optimum for it’s own powered speakers/soundbars because the optimum is already known, so there is no need to adjust it.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ve placed my two sub minis in my one physical room.  (one connected to a Sonos AMP, and the other connected to my Beam 2.  It sounds amazing….BUT!!!!!!  I placed the minis HORIZONTALLY!!!!  And now I am obsessed with getting clarity on wny Sonos says this is a giant NO NO.  What gives??

Do what sounds good to you. If that means ignoring manufacturer’s recommendations, don’t worry about it. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for responding, not sure if you’re being sincere or snarky.  I am asking for the “why’s” of the mfg requirement to place vertically.  Can anyone explain why the mini must be vertical?  or what kind of detriment occurs with horizontal?