Skip to main content
Answered

TV sharing and smartness

• 19 August 2021
  • 4 replies

Hello,

Before buying my first smart speakers, a couple of questions.

I plan to have a beam connected to an android TV (via optical) and symphonisks around the house

1. Will i be able to listen to the TV via the other speakers?

2.Can I listen to the tv without taking out my smartphone?

3.If I turn on the TV while the beam is streaming music, will the TV take over automaticall

Thanks

Hello,

Before buying my first smart speakers, a couple of questions.

I plan to have a beam connected to an android TV (via optical) and symphonisks around the house

1. Will i be able to listen to the TV via the other speakers?

The Sonos Home Theatre devices ‘bond’ to their surround speakers/sub to play all channels in sync and can be ‘grouped’ to play both TV and Music audio to other rooms - there is a slight delay (around 30-75ms) playing TV audio to a group, but that’s usually not too important if you are actually located in another room of the Home

2.Can I listen to the tv without taking out my smartphone?

Yes, if you’re in another room of the Home and the TV is playing through a Sonos HT device you can long-press on the Play/Pause button on a speaker in your room and it will join and pull-through the TV audio to that speaker without having to get out your phone. Note too that such things can often be done with voice commands if the speaker has a built-in voice assistant. I use 3rd-party Apps to do this and to even switch-on the TV and change its channels/inputs.

3.If I turn on the TV while the beam is streaming music, will the TV take over automaticall

Thanks

Yes, but it’s a setting you can also change in the Sonos App, called ‘TV Autoplay’ - if enabled, the TV audio takes control over the connected Sonos HT speaker to play the TV audio - if you disable the option, then it doesn’t and any music audio stays playing. Also note the integration with a voice Assistant service allows a user to switch between TV and Music audio with voice instructions too.

Just a question? Why use optical? An Android TV should have DMI-ARC, that would make it much easier to command the Beam through the TV remote (using the CEC protocol), and would possibly give less of a hassle when passing through sound from external sources.

Just a question? Why use optical? An Android TV should have DMI-ARC, that would make it much easier to command the Beam through the TV remote (using the CEC protocol), and would possibly give less of a hassle when passing through sound from external sources.

My TV only has 3 HDMI outputs and I'd rather not sacrifice one for audio  output. Voice commands isn't really my thing

I understand. Most TV’s have four and I do think four is not very much either….