Skip to main content

I have what I believe is a connection problem. When originally set up I was able to play audio from my TV through Sonos. It now won’t. The connection was RCA from audio out on the TV to a converter that transferred RCA to Cat 5 that ran @ 20’ down to basement located SONOS Connect:AMP. Before the Connect:AMP, the Cat 5 was converted back to RCA to make the Connect:AMP connection. All was well until I replaced the TV with a Samsung QN85 that didn’t provide for an RCA connection for Audio out. I ran an optical cable from the TV to an optical/ RCA converter to then connect with the existing Cat 5. Ran fine for 6 months then stopped. It’s either a connection issue or I’ve changed some setting on the TV by mistake. Any thoughts? Thanks

Moderator edit: changed Amp to Connect:AMP  for clarity/accuracy x2.

Very dense information, not many paragraphs to break it up to aid in comprehension. 

If I’m parsing this correctly, you’re currently using an optical output on the Samsung, that goes to a converter of some type to transfer the signal to CAT5 , which get carried to another converter that puts it back to RCA stereo output that feeds a Sonos CONNECT:AMP ?

Samsung did release an update to their TVs which appears to have broken some output standards. Yours is a little arcane, and a tad more difficult to understand, especially since the result is a stereo output, and it could be any of those intermediary devices, starting with the TV. At the very least, I’d be looking at the digital output settings on that optical port to ensure the max it needs to deal with is stereo. 
But I’d also be looking at some sort of simpler signal path, up to and including replacing the Sonos CONNECT:AMP with a newer Sonos Amp, at the very least to get a ‘home theater’ potential. But that would require additional thought around the whole cat 5 connections, too.