Answered

Trueplay not working after adding Mini Sub. not sure if sub even working

• 11 January 2023
  • 5 replies

I set up home theater in Bedroom with a Beam 2 and Play 1’s for surrounds. It worked fine and I used Trueplay with no problem.
I recently bought a mini sub auto add to the mix. When I tried to use the Trueplay with the mini sub added I would get an error message saying it cannot locate a speaker and to try again. It couldn’t identify which speaker but I assumed it was the mini sub since that was the last added speaker before problem.

I’ve been on the phone three times today for over three hours with Sonos and they basically keep telling me the same thing over and over… Which is basically unplug, reset, try again etc. They also had me call Verizon to force a change to less crowded channel. I was on the phone with Verizon FiOS for an hour but changing of channel had no effect. Trueplay still same error message.

I personally think there is something wrong with the mini sub as I can’t even tell if any base is coming out of it no matter what I play. Any suggestions appreciated but Sonos technical support has not come up with any solutions! Do I try and return to Best Buy for new unit or am I ( and Sonos) missing something??

also is there a test to see if sub has any sound coming from it.  I don’t feel any vibrations or hear anything

icon

Best answer by buzz 16 January 2023, 22:53

View original

5 replies

Go to Settings → System → About My System. Is the Mini listed as part of your SONOS system? Have you rebooted BEAM?

Yes… the mini is listed as part of the Home Theater set up in Bedroom.  and yes, we rebooted the Beam a few times.

Verizon is here now upgrading my internet speed but not sure that is the problem.  Sonos runs diagnostics and they say the mine Sub is working but I don’t hear or feel anything from it no matter how loud I crank things up.  It’s in a corner so should be good placement and room is small.  

I think the clue to problem is Trueplay error message is not locating one speaker...which happened AFTER I added the mini sub. I’m not looking forward to another couple hours on phone with Sonos...unplugging all the speakers and resetting wifi etc.  All those troubleshooting methods didn’t work last yesterday.

Is there anyway to simply test if the mini Sub is broken in some way?  thanks

Unfortunately, we do not have access to the diagnostics. You could post a diagnostic confirmation here. If SONOS staff passes by, they could look at the diagnostic and give an opinion.

Update:  I sent back the Mini Sub and got a replacement.  The replacement works fine.  The first sub, as I suspected, was faulty.  The strange part is Sonos Tech Support kept telling me the sub was fine because they were able to see it working on their end.  But I kept trying to tell them I felt and heard nothing.  The new replacement I can feel immediately.

The Trueplay also worked on new sub which it never worked on the first one.  The only strange thing happening now is that the theater system is set up and all speakers are working but in the Sonos app it still lists my Sub as not connected.  weird.   I think I’ll just ignore as I don’t want to spend more hours talking to tech support.  Thanks.

Rebooting BEAM and the MINI might help with the “not connected” sub. You can also force close the controller. Finally, you can uninstall the controller, and install a fresh copy. Nothing critical is stored in the controllers.