Answered

Trueplay and sitting/standing at my listening source

• 27 April 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I am using a sonos beam with two Ones for surround and a sub connected to my PC’s optical for 5.1. Anyway, the beam sits on my desk (elevated by a speaker stand). Sometimes I’m sitting down when I play games/listen to music, sometimes I put my desk into standing mode. So that means the beam can be either lower to the ground, like when I’m sitting, or higher up, like when I’m standing. Does it matter if I tune trueplay in either position? Would one be more optimal than the other? Should I maybe instead like set the desk height to be in between both for an average? 

Also, I’m a bit loathe to walk around the room waving my iPhone. My floors creak. Also I’m never listening anywhere besides either my chair or standing up. Should I still wander the room even though the floors will creak and I won’t be listening at any other position? Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 28 April 2021, 02:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Yes, you should still wander and wave. The Sonos is measuring the room, not just the acoustics in a single position, as I understand it. In fact, I think if you don’t move around, the process will terminate and fail. 

Slightly different than the TruePlay on the speaker units that have it, which are point based. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Any ideas on whether I should do this when I have the desk raised up in standing mode or lowered in sitting mode? I switch between the two throughout the day, so I’m trying to figure out which one would make the most sense for true play tuning.

Whichever setup the desk is in most often. It likely won’t make a significant difference to the room’s measurement, but you can try it both ways, and see if there is one you prefer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

It isn’t that hard to do, try high, low and half-way and see which sounds best from either desk position.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks for the snarky response. I was wondering if someone had already encountered this before and had some useful advice and furthermore, any particular details or reason as to why one might be preferable over the other.. No need to reply if you’re going to be rude especially when what you said is the same as what Airgetlam already replied with, and furthermore not helpful in the least.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sorry to have upset you.

I didn’t see the previous post when I made mine.

What I said was slightly different too, as I added a third position to try, as you asked about in your first post.

I have encountered the multiple position issue before, and I found the TruePlay from the middle point of the two positions gave me the best sound at both. Doing it at either position made that one best but the other noticeably worse.

I sure didn’t think my post was snarky or I wouldn’t have made it.