Skip to main content
Answered

Trouble with LG Magic Remote (OLED65G26LA 2022) connection with Sonos Playbar

• 4 January 2024
  • 16 replies

I have checked various related topics and tried a number of different things and below is where I’ve got to without success.

1. Set the sound output to optical
  2. Setup the optical output to Sonos on the LG TV
  3. Setup the remote in the Sonos app whilst the TV was off (only way it would work)

Result is that the remote works with the Playbar whilst the TV is off when playing music, but as soon as I turn on the TV it stops working. I get the volume +/- signs but no white light on the playbar and no change in sound up or down. 

Does anyone have any other advice about how to get this setup properly, as I can’t face using another remote to operate the sound? 

What model of LG TV is it? What manufacturer brand have you set the PlayBar as in the TV’s universal remote/device connector in the LG webOS settings? It should be set as “Sonos” but note it is cAsE SeNsiTIvE when searching for the manufacturers name. Also, if you have no joy there, try the settings mentioned in this ‘old’ Sonos support link: 

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/unable-to-adjust-the-volume-using-the-lg-magic-remote

Ignore the bit about me asking what model TV it is… I now see it’s a G2 OLED, sorry I missed that in your thread title. Anyhow, you should find "Sonos” as a manufacturer in your universal control (remote) search.

Thanks for the quick response. The model is the 2022 OLED 65G26LA. In the TV ‘Universal Remote Settings’ I searched for Sonos and selected that when setting it up. Do I need to do something different for the ‘LG webOS settings’ or is that the same thing?

The old link instructions I have pretty much done apart from disabling SIMPLINK which I can’t find an option for in the settings anywhere.

You don’t need to disable Simplink as you might need that for CEC control of other connected devices… it will not affect the optical connection.

I have a different model of LG TV with an optical connected Sonos Ray and it’s working okay with the magic remote 2023 version - maybe it’s the light from the TV screen that’s affecting the infrared receiver on the Playbar - I would double check the ‘universal control’ setup on the TV and maybe go through the TV Remote setup again from within the Sonos App whilst the TV is powered on, see if that resolves the issue. 

FWIW anyway, on my TV, Simplink can be disabled in "Settings/General/Devices/HDMI Settings"… if you did want to try that, but the WebOS version/menu can vary by each TV model. 

Thanks again. I’ll give that a try tonight.

I've disabled SIMPLINK for what its worth and tried setting up the remote from the Sonos app whilst trying to shade the playbar receiver from the TV and it still won't recognise the remote. 

I then tried doing it again with the TV off and it works (white receiver light) and I can control music up and down. Then if I turn the TV back on it stops working again with the Playbar but the +/- volume sign comes up on the TV screen. It's like when the TV is on it reverts to RF, but when the TV is off it switches to IR?

Any other ideas?

I've disabled SIMPLINK for what its worth and tried setting up the remote from the Sonos app whilst trying to shade the playbar receiver from the TV and it still won't recognise the remote. 

I then tried doing it again with the TV off and it works (white receiver light) and I can control music up and down. Then if I turn the TV back on it stops working again with the Playbar but the +/- volume sign comes up on the TV screen. It's like when the TV is on it reverts to RF, but when the TV is off it switches to IR?

Any other ideas?

No, I’ve currently no idea, that’s assuming you have the TV optical port linked to a Sonos Soundbar and that ‘Sonos’ is showing as the manufacturer I when you go into ‘universal control’ TV settings  - in our case here, the Ray works whether the LG TV is ‘on’ or in ‘standby’ I’m struggling to see why yours is not working. Have you tried setting up the Soundbar again in the TV’s ‘universal control’ settings? It sounds like it is a TV issue switching the remote to RF, rather than using its ‘universal control’ (TV remote) settings.

Note you can setup the remote as another manufacturer, as mentioned in the support link… some Sonos owners used to use ‘Philips’ as the manufacturer before Sonos was added to the database… so try switching the control to Philips and maybe switch it back again to Sonos, to see if either manufacturer will work for you. Make sure you have it setup under the Bluetooth/Soundbar device category too, as shown in my earlier screenshot.

I've tried a bunch of different manufacturers and back to Sonos. I've removed everything, reset the remote and started again and still no luck. I'm at a bit of a loss to be honest. 

Any other ideas or suggestions of what to do next?

I've tried a bunch of different manufacturers and back to Sonos. I've removed everything, reset the remote and started again and still no luck. I'm at a bit of a loss to be honest. 

Any other ideas or suggestions of what to do next?

It really seems ‘quite likely’ to be an issue with your LG TV. I only say that though, as the TV appears to be causing the ‘magic remote’ to suddenly not work as a universal ‘infrared’ remote when the TV is powered on.

My thoughts are to now go onto speak to LG Customer Support and see if they can perhaps assist you to resolve the issue.

If you do find the answer to this, then i hope you will kindly post back here the outcome, as it might perhaps help others too, if they encounter the same issue.

I see that you’re based in the U.K. according to your community profile, so just to (hopefully) help further, I believe this is the LG customer support phone number that you can call:

Tel: 0344 847 5454

I have the same issue with Beam 2 not responding to LG remote but only since a software update on the tv. Any suggestions ?

I have the same issue with Beam 2 not responding to LG remote but only since a software update on the tv. Any suggestions ?

Which model TV?

How is the Beam connected to the TV? Are you using the CEC protocol? Are you bothering with IR remote control?

Also what have you got setup for the soundbar in the LG TV WebOS universal device connector?

Hi..the soundbar is connected via ARC and worked fine until yesterday when suddenly the volume control and mute functions would not respond and the only thing I can assume is because of a software update which happened on the tv.

I have two remotes that both worked (LG and Virgin) and I have an Amazon firestick plugged in (which I have also had problems with since installing the soundbar)

I’m afraid I am not very savvy with technical issues as getting on a bit ;)

Hi..the soundbar is connected via ARC and worked fine until yesterday when suddenly the volume control and mute functions would not respond and the only thing I can assume is because of a software update which happened on the tv.

I have two remotes that both worked (LG and Virgin) and I have an Amazon firestick plugged in (which I have also had problems with since installing the soundbar)

I’m afraid I am not very savvy with technical issues as getting on a bit ;)

Perhaps ensure Simplink is enabled in the TV settings. The soundbar should be plugged into HDMI 2 - make sure the cable is seated correctly at both ends. Try power-cycling both the TV and soundbar aswell.

Thanks Ken...I will give it a go when I get home from work