Skip to main content
Question

Theatre Set-up

• 19 June 2024
  • 7 replies

I am setting up our theatre with Sonos of course and I am now wondering if I’ve over done it or even weather it will work…

We have an Arc and 3 pairs of One Sl’s up front, three each side of the screen, two subs behind the back seat, a pair of left and right one sl’s for the rear on stands with wall mounted era300’s at the rear as well…

Still in the installation and purchasing process… might be too late since I’ve already committed the cash but how do I make this work?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The Arc can only support 2 x Subs and one pair of rear surrounds. You use the functions ‘Connect Surrounds’ and ‘Connect Sub’ to add them into the set up.

You cannot add more than that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Potentially (and I’ve not tried it), you can also set up other pairs of speakers as Stereo Pairs, and you could place them either side of the room. You’d need to group them on the Grouping screen with the ‘Room’ that has the Arc/Subs/Surrounds but they would just be additional left and right (and so potentially unnecessary), not producing any individual sounds of their own. NB. they would potentially make the surrounds and Arc less effective because the stereo pairs issue ALL the sound, so any surround sound/front/Atmos would also be issued by the stereo pairs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Potentially (and I’ve not tried it), you can also set up other pairs of speakers as Stereo Pairs, and you could place them either side of the room. You’d need to group them on the Grouping screen with the ‘Room’ that has the Arc/Subs/Surrounds but they would just be additional left and right (and so potentially unnecessary), not producing any individual sounds of their own. NB. they would potentially make the surrounds and Arc less effective because the stereo pairs issue ALL the sound, so any surround sound/front/Atmos would also be issued by the stereo pairs.

In addition, there’ll be a slight delay on tv audio to the other rooms, creating a kind of echo. (Ok on music, though.) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I’m also disbelieving of your original post. To commit  $5,000 or so on a system you haven’t listened to and don’t know if it’ll work…

In addition, there’ll be a slight delay on tv audio to the other rooms, creating a kind of echo. (Ok on music, though.) 

Even with music, it’s going to be a mess as trueplay tuning is not going to take the speakers in the other ‘rooms’ into account to get things properly tuned.  

To the OP - What exactly made you think you could use single Left Right fronts, never mind three of each?  Even the most cursory glance at the specifications would tell you that a soundbar already has the left/center/right combined, and is not designed to be used as a center channel.

If your video and music preferences tend toward outside concerts, where the sound is not very coherent, your proposed setup will probably work OK for you. However, an intimate movie scene will not seem very intimate.