Skip to main content

Hi everyone first post as a new member so bear with me! 
I’ve received an IKEA Symfonisk table lamp as a present recently and I also have a new One SL. 
Ive got a Beam already set up for my TV in the living room, can I add the ONE SL and Symfonisk speakers as a surround set? 

thanks in advance! 

Chris 

Only two of the same model SYMFONISK speakers can be used together as surround sound speakers for a Sonos home theater setup, you can’t mix & match them with any other device.

Hi thanks for your reply. 
That’s really disappointing news as a Symfonisk is surely the equivalent of a one or one sl in lamp form?

For the aesthetics in the living room we needed an additional light so this was ideal, but two lamps would be overkill. 
Is there no way of bypassing this and having what are two very similar speakers paired for surround with my beam? 
Do I have any other options here? 

@chrisdogg1980 if you have an iOS device you can set the lamp and One SL as surrounds with the Sonosequencer app. The app costs a dollar or two depending on your currency. YMMV

https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/sonosequencr/id967043604

@Bumper thanks is this kind of a jailbreak for it?

@Bumper thanks is this kind of a jailbreak for it?

No. Nothing like jail breaking. The Sonos speaker software is able to pair or bond with unlike speakers, but the Sonos controller app does not have the option.

I’m sure you can think of a few $$$ reasons why Sonos limits this artificially . The app is cheaper than buying another speaker. Ymmv

@Bumper yes I understand thank you I will try the app for the sake of 2GBP. Sonos really should make all the smaller speakers cross compatible and they ha e offered to refund me here but I want the lamp/speaker combo. 

thanks again for your help 

@Bumper sorry to keep hitting you with questions, (hopefully) my last:

Can I still use official Sonos Controller app on iOS concurrently with SonosSequencr? Or do I need to completely stop using it to avoid conflicts? 

I’d like to add a sub to my system once I have sorted this surround speaker issue out and ideally I’d like to retain the official app functionality to add new devices. 

thanks! 

@Bumper sorry to keep hitting you with questions, (hopefully) my last:

Can I still use official Sonos Controller app on iOS concurrently with SonosSequencr? Or do I need to completely stop using it to avoid conflicts? 

I’d like to add a sub to my system once I have sorted this surround speaker issue out and ideally I’d like to retain the official app functionality to add new devices. 

thanks! 

NP. Everything remains the same with the official app. More information here, the dev also active there

https://www.reddit.com/r/SonoSequencr

(should mention I’m not affiliated with the app at all)

Sonos might not only have commercial reasons for preventing you from connecting different speakers as surrounds, but also reasons concerning sound quality.

I’m curious if Trueplay is still available in a set up like this. Can anyone tell me this?

@106rallye. I understand there may be a sound quality concern but I really don’t understand why Sonos don’t make their similar sized speakers cross compatible. Looking at the Symfonisk lamp the speaker in there can only be a One or One SL judging by the size.

So it makes zero sense to me that you can’t combine the Symfonisk and a One SL as surround speakers with a Beam. 

@106rallye. I understand there may be a sound quality concern but I really don’t understand why Sonos don’t make their similar sized speakers cross compatible. Looking at the Symfonisk lamp the speaker in there can only be a One or One SL judging by the size.

So it makes zero sense to me that you can’t combine the Symfonisk and a One SL as surround speakers with a Beam. 

Tear downs of the ikea bookshelf show it is essentially a gen2 play 1, the lamp is likely the same. IME there is a slight difference in sound between the lamp and One. @chrisdogg1980 you can easily test this and how they sound as surrounds  yourself.

Even though Sonos does not want you to do this, it is up to you to decide if the 2 different speakers work for surround (your money, your house, your ears, your speakers)

@Bumper You provide excellent food for thought as always! Auto tune and using the Symfonisk as an individual speaker have indicated it does fit the bill for my surround needs and I’m happy with the sound quality in a fairy small living room. 

Final test Via SonoSequencr with hopefully surround will be the clincher and I’ll either stick or twist and get another One SL.