Question

surround speakers not working

• 29 April 2020
  • 7 replies

I have just added two sonos one’s gen 2 to my beam (no sub) . and successfully set up the surround sound system and the app recognizes that I have a beam with the two speaker. Only the beam produces sound I can also control the volume on the beam from either speaker so I’m defiantly connected to the beam but sill no sound. Same result for TV, Music and movie. All so  tried rebooting router, beam and speakers still no sound. Help !!!! 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Check to see that your TV is sending a Dolby Digital signal to your Beam. While playing something on your TV, open up the controller app, and select Settings>System>About My System, and look for the line under the Beam that starts with Audio in. My bet is right now it only says Stereo. 

You haven’t said how the Beam is connected to your TV.

If it’s via the HDMI cable, you need to be sure to have HDMI-CEC turned on in the TV’s settings, and it would be worth both checking the TV for updates, as well as unplugging it from the wall for two minutes, to force it to reboot the software.

If you’ve connected it with the optical cable option, you need to check the audio settings in the TV, as well as any device feeding the TV to ensure that they’re locked to Dolby Digital. Start with the source devices feeding the TV, since some TVs won’t allow you to choose Dolby Digital if they’re not receiving a Dolby Digital signal. 

Hi thanks for the return. I have checked my Samsung series 6 and yes the Dolby digital is on and I am using the supplied HDMI cable. I have been trying lots of different thing with in the app and found that I can get sound out of the speakers if I set them up as stereo speakers and used true tune. But when I go back to surround sound they won’t work.

an update to my problem which is now solved and to anybody else with a similar problem. the solution:- I thought I was being clever by connecting the beam with an Ethernet cable but that prevented the beam from using it’s own Wi-Fi to connect to the rear speakers.  

an update to my problem which is now solved and to anybody else with a similar problem. the solution:- I thought I was being clever by connecting the beam with an Ethernet cable but that prevented the beam from using it’s own Wi-Fi to connect to the rear speakers.  

It shouldn’t  do? The Ethernet port does not normally disable the Beams wireless adapters, which should continue to connect to the surrounds, often over the 5ghz band, unless the feature is manually switched off by the user in the Beams Room Settings? 🤔

Just to add, one of my Sonos Beam’s is wired direct to my router and the unwired surrounds (Sonos One SL’s) are connecting to it fine over the SonosNet connection. All devices show as WM:0 for their wireless mode.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Did you disable the radio in the Beam? Needless to say no radio means no 5 GHz link to the surrounds. Sonos really needs to expand the warning text on that page.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The Sonos-term for disabling the radio is “disable wifi”, which leaves some to conclude Sonosnet (or 5Ghz for surround) would not be affected - it is.