Skip to main content

Have one ray and two era 100. Trying to set up surround sound but every time I try, it says that it’s unable to connect. Check WiFi and that the speakers are on. I’ve checked and tried several times but the same issue pops up everytime

Same issue. But I managed to get the Era 100’s added (by enabling WIFI vs. disable WIFI in the Ray setup) but then it still doesn’t appear in the app home screen. Suspect it is an App issue. Sonos saying its a WIFI or router issue; router (Google) saying its a Sonos issue 🤷🏻...

Have one ray and two era 100. Trying to set up surround sound but every time I try, it says that it’s unable to connect. Check WiFi and that the speakers are on. I’ve checked and tried several times but the same issue pops up everytime

I’ve found my problem. It was an update on ray I haven’t gotten a notification on

I’ve found my problem. It was an update on ray I haven’t gotten a notification on

How did you check for update on Ray? 

So i ended up resetting all my system and plugged everything in over Ethernet (had to get 2x Symfonisk’s Gen 2 ‘s again as that has an ethernet port; Era 100’s don't and my conclusion is its a WIFI / app issue??) and did as follows:

1. Added the Ray to the sytem (via Ethernet) and connected TV/remote.
  2. Added each bookshelf as separate rooms using Ethernet. Once each speaker added to system it goes through a software update. (odd thing here is one speaker update worked on IoS on the new app; but the other speaker was updating then showed 1002 error code, so had to be done over Windows version of app to update software. 
  3. Clicked “setup surrounds” for the Ray and added both Symfonisk’s (still on ethernet) and the successfully added
  4. Went back to app main screen and pressed the “+ Add speaker or component” button and waited for sub to appear (via Ethernet)
  5. Added sub to system
  6. assigned sub to Ray.
  7. Removed ethernet cable to 2x Symfonisk’s and sub, left the ethernet cable in the Ray and checked “enable WIFI” was still on Ray
  8. Checked all sub, 2x symfonisk had “enable WIFI” and removed Ethernet.
  9. Tuned system with TruePlay
  10. Tested with a movie on Netflix playing 5.1 ch surround and it worked

This support page https://support.sonos.com/en-au/article/surround-sound-guidelines-and-limitations# says ERA’s 100 can be added to Arc, Ray, Beam (any generation) does not currently work over WIFI and latest 80.01.11 app release last week. Tried for days to add the ERA’s as a surround set and nothing, even after the screen on apps say them have been added (see last thread)

Good news is the Symfonisk Gen 2’s (and Play 1’s which also has Ethernet) now seem to work and are on the system with latest app after steps above

Good luck!