Skip to main content

Hello all,

I have 4 Sonos devices. A Ray, 2 one’s first gen, and a move. The ray is connect to the tv and works great. The Sonos move has no problems and the 2 one’s connect well as a stereo pair. However when i try to connect the two one’s to the ray as surrounded sound it all falls apart. They will connect just fine and then they both disconnect and say not connected. After this happens they won’t play sound at all and won’t re connect without a factory rest where I can make them a stereo again. I am in an apartment with Whitesky WiFi. I think I might need a travel router but I don’t get why everything else works up until I pair them as surrounds so I wonder if it is something else. 

Hi @Akadkho1 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I am in the UK so I am not familiar with Whitesky or their devices. I could find no mention of them in my documentation, however, so it looks like there are no known issues. Surround speakers do utilise proxy DHCP which some router’s can have issues with, however. That Whitesky is not documented I’m taking as a good sign.

The first thing I would like to make sure of is that you have not disabled WiFi on the Ray after connecting it to the router with an ethernet cable - even if you choose to use ethernet, WiFi should remain enabled as the surrounds will use the Ray’s WiFi radio to connect. Settings icon » sroom with Ray] » Ray » Enable WiFi.

It could also help to reboot the Ray by unplugging it from power for a moment, and by rebooting the device running the Sonos app too.

Sources of interference near the Ray could also cause problems - especially if the source is using 5GHz WiFi. Please try to keep any such devices at least 1m (3 feet) away from Ray.

If none of this works, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Hi @Akadkho1 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I am in the UK so I am not familiar with Whitesky or their devices. I could find no mention of them in my documentation, however, so it looks like there are no known issues. Surround speakers do utilise proxy DHCP which some router’s can have issues with, however. That Whitesky is not documented I’m taking as a good sign.

The first thing I would like to make sure of is that you have not disabled WiFi on the Ray after connecting it to the router with an ethernet cable - even if you choose to use ethernet, WiFi should remain enabled as the surrounds will use the Ray’s WiFi radio to connect. Settings icon » sroom with Ray] » Ray » Enable WiFi.

It could also help to reboot the Ray by unplugging it from power for a moment, and by rebooting the device running the Sonos app too.

Sources of interference near the Ray could also cause problems - especially if the source is using 5GHz WiFi. Please try to keep any such devices at least 1m (3 feet) away from Ray.

If none of this works, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

thanks for the response I’ll give it a try. I do have WiFi enabled but I don’t have the ray connect via Ethernet so maybe that will help