Skip to main content

New home addition completed. I have a mounted TV, connected to a Sonos Amp behind it (in the wall) and it’s connected to 2 in-ceiling NON-Sonos speakers on either side of TV.

I am playing music through the speakers and at other times TV through speakers. It’s a large room though, and if I want to have MUSIC extend to opposite side of room without cranking volume, I assume I can add other Sonos speakers (Era 100) to opposite side of room. Can I use same speakers in a surround-sound setup for when watching TV?  Will they function as surround sound even though front speakers are not Sonos (but are connected to Amp)? Can I use Truplay to set up? 

thank you.

No you cannot without removing and setting them up for each function every time. Then you have to Trurplay each time.. A PITA if you ask me.

You can keep them set as surrounds and simply change the surround settings, when listening to music, from Ambient to Full. This will make the system more dynamic.

@Pools-3015 

thank you for the reply. I really appreciate it. Since the amp is not connected to Sonance in-ceiling Speakers, But rather a different brand, it seems that Trueplay Will not work together with the Rear speakers. What is the alternative to setting up surround sound using Trueplay in that situation?

Trueplay is completely optional, many folks never bother or don’t have one of the required Apple devices to run it so I wouldn’t count it as a big loss. I don’t think you can use it on just some of a Room as you are looking to do.

Also note that regular Sonance speakers won’t Trueplay either, only the specific Sonos modified ones, like seen on the Sonos Store page.

double post