Answered

Surround Sound from Beam (Gen 2) with ATMOS

• 21 December 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi all, just received and setup Beam Gen 2 with my SONY - BRAVIA KD43XH9196BU TV. Everything is setup correctly, HDMI via eARC port. When playing ATMOS content from Netflix or other apps, I’m also seeing ATMOS appear on the Sonos app when playing this content. The sound is very impressive from the front perspective, it’s wide and detailed. However, I don’t get a sense of any virtual sound from around me, side or to the back. Just curious to know what I should be expecting from a virtual surround sound perspective. The website claims “Dolby Atmos maps sounds in space for a 3D effect so you experience planes as if they're flying overhead, hear footsteps moving across the room, and feel the score surround you.” However, I don’t feel like I experience any of that, just very good quality sound from the front only.

Cheers

Shane

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 21 December 2022, 18:27

View original

4 replies

You aren’t going to experience the full effects of surround sound without dedicated surrounds.  The virtual simulation of surrounds is no substitute for the real thing.

Of course, I understand that. My point is more than I’m not experiencing any effects of simulated surround sound. I was expecting something at least

Userlevel 7

The virtual surround effect will largely be dependent on the quality of the audio mix, your room setup, and how far you are seated from the Beam. Test the film Roma on Netflix. It has a very immersive Dolby Atmos audio mix. Play it loud for the best results. Also be sure to adjust the Height Audio level in the Sonos app. If you are seated far away from the Beam, try moving closer.

Apologies for the delay on this. I unfortunately managed to pick up Covid before Christmas so was isolating and no where near the Living room! Just  gotto try this out yesterday. Definitely adjusting height upwards has created a more immersive experience. With the ocean scene towards the end of Roma, you could feel the sound of the ocean more around the room. Thanks for the suggestion