Sub wifi (working but not working)

• 29 November 2020
  • 13 replies

Hello all 

I am new to the Sonos family and so far very happy (when it works) my issue is with this brand new sub gen 3. 

firsrly on occasion it will just work but it takes a lot of work to get there and if I do a simple router restart I then have to start the whole process over again.

it is important to note that YES the sub is connecting to the WiFi router and according to my router statistics the signal is “Excellent”. Another note to make is that Yes I have tried 2.4 ghz and 5ghz and it makes no difference. 

I have screen shots of the sub showing up or even at the end of setup asking me to reboot the sub for the app to see it.

it is quite frustrating can any one direct me if they have the same issues. I just bought this and am thinking Sonos have a dud and it needs replacement. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @AaronBoss.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community since you already tried some troubleshooting steps let me help you further.

Can you submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number for us to see what's going on inside your device or even in wifi.

Might want to read this article to also reduce wireless interference might resolve the issue also.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Hello sir 

please note that currently the sub is connected but NOT assigned as it won’t work. Another thing that happens quite a bit.

i am not convinced of any interference as issues is persistent on both 2.4 and 5ghz Bands also the noise level is minimal from my router diagnostics.

Hopefully this will direct to most probable cause.

:-) 

The Sub in a Sonos HT setup doesn't connect by WIFI at all. It connects via the main HT speaker using direct routing over 5GHz.

Is your Arc wired or wireless?

Hello John 

I am pretty convinced that is incorrect. My Arc is connected via WiFi. (No issues and works perfectly) 

note:the sub connects to the WiFi independently. i believe you could purchase the boost and it will connect under Sonos own proprietary connection not entirely sure in that one. But either way I don’t expect issues with connection via WiFi in my environment. 

When the Sub is connected to your Arc it connects via the main HT speaker over direct routing using the 5GHz radios in the Arc and Sub. The data over this link is not carried over your WiFi.

Your router is still handling IP addressing and the Sub will have its own IP address. 

This all applies whether the system is in WiFi or SonosNet mode. 

Hello John. 

either way my router is still handling the signal. Heck if it’s Not what exactly are you suggesting to fix my issue?

as so far it seems more like you might be saying the Sonos arc is the issue ?

note: the arc is not capable of connecting to 5ghz WiFi un like the sub. Even more reason to believe that it does not use Sonos propitiatory mesh system like back in the day and without a boost.

I just thought that it might help if you understood better how Sonos HT systems connect. It is correct to say that the Arc can only connect to your 2.4 GHz band. But the Arc still connects to the Sub over 5GHz (not your router's 5GHz). So a problem with the Arc's 5GHz radio - or the Sub's - is one possible reason for the connection problems.

Shamefully John I still think this is a incorrect assumption.

1. Why does the sub request the network ?
  2. why does the sub have its own dedicated IP and show up in my wireless list 
  3. if I was to connect it to Ethernet it would still require a back end connection

i don’t believe that this is the case anymore.

I am going to take the sub back to beat buy at this time as I was expecting a Sonos support engineer to see the diagnostic data to see if there was any more data 

John is correct. No matter what your opinion is.

Amazing how you all want to be correct! Yet it does not exactly help the situation.

bruce , John I apologize for being wrong. 

now , what do you suggest I do? 

Look.  I intended to make one factual post on this thread in order to correct a misconception that might have made it harder to get to the cause of your problem.  I also asked how your Arc was connected, because I have seen numerous cases where users have wired a soundbar, disabled the wireless on the soundbar and then not been able to connect a Sub or surrounds.  That didn’t turn out to be the case here, and I had no intention of getting into a debate about the facts of Sonos networking.

So I apologise for wasting both our time and will not do so any further.

Understood John , I apologize. 

some good news I did manage to get it working. Looked deep within the forums and on ASUS routers it appears Disabling a specific protocol “airtime Fairness” this seemed to inhibit some of the traffic from the sub talking to the router. 

so good news

That’s good.  I hope it continues to be solid.