Question

SUB setup error

• 30 August 2020
  • 21 replies

Badge

Impossible to connect my sub. I tried all the factory resets, restarting routers, and so on..

First it tells me “Added a sub to your playbar”, and then, when preparing the speakers in this room to work together, it always gives me sub setup problem… Everything is powered and well within router range. I even changed the time and date to the correct setting… 

My entire system and all products are up to date. 

It eventually goes to Audio Setup Problem (“your products can be tuned later in the settings from this room”)...When I go to the room afterwards, the only thing I can do is remove the sub. It shows as a ?, and I cannot set it up later. 

The system always used to work. After coming home one day, the sub for some reason wasn’t connected anymore, and now does not allow to be reconnected. 

Sonos is nice when it works, but the amount of times it makes your blood boil is making this system less and less worth it!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @mathieuroegiers, thank you for reaching out and getting our attention to this.

We understand the frustration and we want to help. Thank you as well for taking the time to troubleshoot this.

Before we move forward with troubleshooting. I would like to take a look at your Sonos system first.

Please take a diagnostic from the Sonos app and post the confirmation here. Setting > Help & Tips > Submit Diagnostic.

It will give us clues on what’s happening internally in the Sonos system.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Badge

It appeared and I connected/registered the sub to my account. It worked for 2 minutes, and now it’s back to the same..

Confirmation nr is 207107802

Badge

Now I managed to add the sub, but it’s just not playing anything at all!!

All my settings are on, sub volume to +9, and not a single vibration is coming out of that sub, even though it shows in my room now!!

Diagnostic 1044448787

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @mathieuroegiers, thank you for the update.

I checked the diagnostics, on 1044448787 the Sub is connected to the Sonos system but not communicating properly to the Playbar.

Please restart the Sub by unplugging it for 20 seconds and power it back up. 

It should show flashing white indicating that it’s booting up; once done, check the room it’s assigned to; does it show ”?” or “Sub”?

If it’s showing up in the app, test the Sub; is it working? note: bring the Sub volume back to normal before testing “+0”.

Take a diagnostic after testing, we would need to check the Home Theater connection between the Playbar and Sub.

Please let us know how the troubleshooting goes.

Badge

Still exactly the same. It shows up as “sub” but there is not a single sign of life coming out of that sub. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @mathieuroegiers, thank you for the update.

I checked the diagnostic, it’s still not connecting to the Playbar properly.

I would need to check the network setup, please provide the model of your Wifi router.

I will check for any known issues with it because we do have a few routers that affect the Sonos system this way.

While we check for any known issue with it, you can try to remove and re-add Sub to the Playbar.

In case, the setup was incomplete when the Sub was re-added.

Update us with your findings.

Badge

it simply does not work at all…!! I am about to throw this whole Sonos system in the garbage. The amount of times that this system does not work, I cannot believe I paid sooo much money for such shit!

I added and removed the sub about 20 times now. My router is a TotoLink 2.4 Ghz 300 Mbps Outdoor CPE. Everything worked for about a month. Now for no reason whatsoever it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to connect my sub and make it work, which distorts the entire system and makes the Play 1’s over vibrate in the entire roof, horrible sound! 

Badge

Any one to help?? I reset the entire system, the playbar, all the way to factory setting. Installed the entire home theatre again, with surround, sub, playbar…. AND STILL THE SAME !

My system worked as it should for 1 month, and since 5 days, DISASTER. MY SUB just simply does not function at all! the sub once again shows as a question mark! 

It drives me absolutely insane to have paid 5 000 !!! USD for all my Sonos components, Playbar, Sub, 4 Play 1, a Play 5, a boost, … and I don’t even have a system that works normally for longer than a few weeks.

Insane!! Please help now and make this work!

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @mathieuroegiers, sorry for the late response.

We understand the frustration and we’re be assisting you as much as we can.

Now since the Sub is not connecting to the Playbar’s wireless signal as a satellite speaker.

We would need to now check for any wireless interference.

We would like to also know if there’s anything in between the Sub and Playbar and how the Sub was placed. 

Update us with your findings.

Badge

the sub worked again for a day. Now we re back to square one. 

The sub is placed 2 meters from the tv and playbar. Nothing in between apart from an Amazon fire cube. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @mathieuroegiers, thank you for the update.

Let’s test, try turning off the Amazon Fire Cube temporarily, and try the Sub with Music.

If the issue persists, since we did the necessary troubleshooting and we found no interference.

I would recommend contacting our Phone support to look into it further.

1 800 680 2345 Monday to Friday from 10 am to 9 pm ET (US support)

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Badge

serious?? I’m the one who needs to call your support, from 10 000 miles away in Indonesia, pay for your phone call, to deal with your sh**** and disfunctional product?? 

No changes with fire cube out, with relocation of sub to the other side of the tv, zero! I cannot believe I spent more than 5 000 USD on this worthless Sonos. You lost me as a client!

Do you have surround speakers successfully connected to the Playbar?

Does the system work, other than the Sub?

If you look in the app, under ‘About my System’, every speaker will have WM:0 or WM:1 next to it.  What do you have?

While you are in About my System, please note the IP address of one of your speakers (not the Boost).  For illustration, I’ll pretend it is 192.168.1.24.

Type into a browser window http://192.168.1.24:1400/support/review, then click Network Matrix.

(Obviously, substitute the IP address of your speaker.)

Post a screenshot of the matrix.  You had better obscure the MAC addresses.

Badge

It all has WM1, and Surround speakers WM2. The sub is NOWHERE to be seen. Not even on the freaking list! Which distorts my entire surround system, the play 1 s are now over-bass ing, which makes my entire roof tremble! 

When I do what you mention above, I get a page that can’t even be loaded!

You say you have a Boost.  If you are using a Boost then all your speakers should show WM:0.  How are you using the Boost?  What is it wired to?  (If you haven’t got it wired to your router then it is basically a useless brick and your system isn’t set up optimally.)

I suspect that you have either screwed up your setup or there is a faulty piece of equipment somewhere.  But I shall leave you to it.  I am just another user trying to help and I can live without your aggression.

Badge

I thought you represented Sonos, so sorry for that. I do not have my boost connected at all, I don’t know where you get that. 

A piece of equipment is most probably faulty, and Sonos support is not sufficient or does not offer any replacement, pretty poor for a system that never properly works for more than a few months in a row and costs so much. 

I won’t so the same mistake of using them again in my next house.

OK.  Have you ever used the Boost?  Wiring a single Sonos device completely changes the way Sonos works - it flips it over to using SonosNet, Sonos’ mesh networking protocol.  In most cases, unless there are only 1 or 2 speakers, this is more reliable.

May I suggest you add the Boost to your system as a wired device.  Settings, System, Add Boost.  Then check everything is on WM:0.  (Give it a few minutes to reconfigure.) Try to add the Sub again.  Whether it adds or not, do the matrix network thing and we can take a look.

(If you have used the Boost before it may just require an update when you wire it to your router and power it on.)

This may yet just turn out to be a faulty Sub, but I think we should try out SonosNet first.

Badge

I have a boost (not connected) and will connect it as soon as I get out of Indonesia. You cannot get the newer routers here, and my current router does not have plugs to connect a boost to. 

I will travel back home soon and will buy a brand new d-link there. On my return to Bali I will connect it all with boost. For now that is not an option. 

I have a boost (not connected) and will connect it as soon as I get out of Indonesia. You cannot get the newer routers here, and my current router does not have plugs to connect a boost to. 

I will travel back home soon and will buy a brand new d-link there. On my return to Bali I will connect it all with boost. For now that is not an option. 

OK - I hope it helps.  It may or may not solve your issue, but is generally a good thing to do.  You might also reserve IP addresses for all your Sonos devices in the new router.  It isn’t required - I have never done it and my system has been rock solid for nine years - but it has been known to help in some cases.

Badge

Hi SONOS,

I AM desperate!! I am sick of it.

I STILL have a SUB that CANNOT connect!! I have now bought a new router, added my sonos boost to my router, updated and factory reset my entire system, changed the location of the SUB 3 times, NOTHING WORKS!!! 

I paid A LOT of Money for a playbar, sub, boost, Play 5, and 3 play 1’s, and this is not what I expect. 

Here is my diagnostic: 1670091731

Solve this situation once and for all! Fix it or send me a new SUB, this is unbelievable! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @mathieuroegiers, thank you for your response and for submitting the diagnostic. I understand how you’re feeling right now. 

You’re correct. Upon checking the report, the SUB is not showing as online in the system. I really appreciate the time and effort you've spent doing all the troubleshooting steps, and it would be best for you to continue working with us over the phone to expedite the process. 

To further assist you on this, I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care support to remotely access your device to check what's going on. Also, please provide your full network setup including the make and model for each device when you contact them.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.