Answered

Sub Mini dosen't play sound when pairing with Beam Gen 2

• 6 February 2023
  • 5 replies

Hello,

I just added a Sub Mini to my Beam (gen2) + 2xOneSL setting.

It seems Sub Mini has probem pairing a wireless Beam. The Sonos App shows connected but the Sub Mini dose not play any sound in a movie or a base-heavy music.

I’ve tried some cases:

1. Pairing Sub Mini to hard-wired Beam, w/ or w/o surroundings, Sub Mini works as normal. (Diagnostics 1176300266)
  2. Pairing Sub Mini to wireless Beam, w/ or w/o surroundings, Sub Mini plays no sound. (Diagnostics 1996661303)
  3. Pairing Sub Mini to stereo One SLs, Sub Mini works as normal.
  4. Switching Beam from hard-wired to wireless, after automatic reconnecting, Sub Mini plays no sound.
  5. Switching back Beam from wireless to hard-wired, after automatic reconnecting, Sub Mini plays no sound. Manually power on/off Sub Mini, after reconnecting, it works as normal

I am not happy keep connecting my Beam with a network cable in my room...So I did a lot search here and find some related posts. Sorry to At your guys, I hope this post can be a thread tracing the connection problem of Sub Mini with Beam or other Sonos soundbars.

This post says the Sub Mini was connected correctly but no sound during play. Finally the OP solved it by enabling Amp’s Wi-Fi. I don’t have an Amp in my system, so it doesn’t help for me.

However, @Captivebolt mentioned to switch ssid, I am not quite know how to do it.

“What fixed my issue was switching to another ssid… are you broadcasting different bands in your home? 2.4 5 ghz etc? 

my sub mini was doing the exact same thing as what youre saying- saying it was paired with a beam 2 and Ls and Rs but it wasn’t putting out any sound whatsoever- all on the same ssid-switching JUST the sub for whatever reason to a different ssid fixed my issue. ”

This post is very similar to my case, despite my Sub mini never worked then paring a wireless Beam. The OP solved it by manually connecting. I haven’t tried this method and I also wondering if @davemate23 need to do it every time of network change.

“Looks like I’ve actually managed to fix this by manually connecting it to the network via Managed Network. Pretty crazy that it doesn’t ask you to add it to the network during setup…?!”

This post is most likely my situation. The answer by @ratty says it might be some hardware issue.

“It’s conceivable that the Mini has a fault with its 5GHz radio which prevents it talking to a Beam.

I suggest you bond the Mini with a speaker other than a Beam and submit a system diagnostic. Note the number and give Sonos Support a call.”

Hope @Killian Ring can show up and tell us how Sonos support solve your problem.

icon

Best answer by littlefatwolf 8 February 2023, 02:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

Make sure you have WiFi enabled on both the Beam and Sub Mini in the Sonos app. And try placing the Sub Mini at a different location in the room.

Also, make sure the video being watched is in at least 5.1, if it is stereo, there is no disparate signal being sent to the Sub. For instance, much, if not most of YouTube is in stereo only. 

Make sure you have WiFi enabled on both the Beam and Sub Mini in the Sonos app. And try placing the Sub Mini at a different location in the room.

Sure they are all WiFi enabled. In Case 2, surrouning One SLs don’t have any problem.

1. Pairing Sub Mini to wireless Beam, w/ or w/o surroundings, Sub Mini plays no sound. (Diagnostics 1996661303)

Also, make sure the video being watched is in at least 5.1, if it is stereo, there is no disparate signal being sent to the Sub. For instance, much, if not most of YouTube is in stereo only. 

Not really, when I play some heavy music using Spotify, like “A Thousand Years” by Sting, the Sub Mini can be significantly triggered when it was paired with a hard-wired Beam or a wireless One SL.

I just called Sonos support yesterday. The girl on hotline is very nince and professional. 

The diagnostic result is wireless connection of router ↔ Beam, and Beam ↔ Sub Mini are poor and unstable. 

I did some configuration in the router (Asus AX86U) by instruction and solved my problem.

1. 2.4G WiFi: set channel to 6 instead of Auto; set band to 20M instead of 20/40M;
  2. WiFi professional setting: Enable IGMP Snoofing for 2.4G;
  3. WiFi professional setting: Disable Airtime Fairness for 2.4G.

1 and 3 are to enhance 2.4G connection stability which is used by Beam. 2 is to enhance multicast within LAN I guess.

Hope the above solution help! Thanks again to Sonos support hotline.

Channel usage will vary depending on outside concerns, it won’t always be 6. Auto would always be a challenge as the Sonos would be ‘chasing’ the band in use by the router. Setting the bands to 20 rather than 40 keeps down the possibility of overlap and Wi-Fi interference between various channels in use. 

Unusual, although not completely unheard of, for IGMP snooping to be available on a router, but looking back, I don’t see that you ever mentioned what router was in use. Asus is particularly known to be challenging, across many of their routers/firmware packages. 

Disable Airtime fairness is more common issue, although again, there was no mention of which router was in use for us to know to suggest such a thing.

I’m delighted you were able to get these answers for your system, and wish you long years of enjoyable listening.