Skip to main content
Answered

Sub drops off the network and then adding it again is a nightmare

• 14 August 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi there.  My sub keeps losing connection and dropping off my home network.  Then trying to add it again is a trial.  This happens about once a week...

1. I can hear the speaker blip every now and then as I guess it tries to hit the network?
  2. The Sonos app never finds the sub.   I always have to factory reset.
  3. A factory reset generally allows the app to find the sub and it can join a room but then….
  4. It pretty much always fails to join the Beam

Have tried:

• rebooting Sonos app
  • Updating Sonos app
  • turning off ‘Private Address’ on the wifi
  • Rebooting all Sonos devices
  • Rebooting Router (and mesh devices)

it takes multiple, multiple attempts to get the thing set up - one attempt will suddenly ‘succeed’

Setup

S2 Sub and Beam.

Home network is strong (200Mbps).  Google Home mesh network to extend coverage with a Home device sat right next to the speakers.

Anyone got any ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

The Sonos Sub and it’s HT device bond together over an ad-hoc 5Ghz wireless connection - some routers may not report seeing the Sub once it’s set as a slave device as the connection is handled by the main player - I would ignore your router in this instance and look at why there are connection issues between the Sub and the Beam instead.

The first thing to check in the Sonos App is that the Beam’s WiFi has not been switched off in its room settings as this is needed for the ad-hoc wireless connection.

As you are also using a Google Nest WiFi mesh network setup, I also suggest perhaps reading this helpful Staff thread relating to Sonos and mesh WiFi systems and to consider the advice mentioned in the main post:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/troubleshooting-sonos-on-wifi-6856334?postid=16520976#post16520976

Hi folks,

ah the intricacies of networking..!  Many thanks for the help.  I checked and the mesh is using ‘bridge’ mode.  I then updated the network via the Sonos app, basically resetting the network connections between each device and the network.  That seemed to work nicely - it rediscovered the sub and connected it to the Beam perfectly.   Now to wait to see if it sticks.   

The periodic falling off the network is a bit interesting.  I wonder if there is something happening on the mesh network periodically that interrupts the connection….  anyway.  fixed for now, so I’ll keep an eye on it.

Appreciate the prompt and practical help.

thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @mattc1971 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Google Home mesh network to extend coverage with a Home device sat right next to the speakers.

All WiFi devices like to have 1m separation from each other, and especially from Access Points. The Beam and Home device are likely interfering with each other due to proximity, and separating them should clear up the issue.

I hope this helps.