Skip to main content

Should read 2.0 not 2.o. 

Well last piece came in today which was the Arc. 

Got the sub and Era 300’s last week and all was good. 

But seems no matter what I try I’m stuck output Stereo PCM on the app. 

Similar to this 

Unfortunately this might not be solvable on my end. 

I have LG 55EC9300 and the HDMI Port 1 with ARC is unfortunately broken. So I’m using Optical audio out, but there are no other options for pass through for that port I can see. Even did a firmware update. 

Still have my Denon receiver which is fine but haven’t felt like running cables for the rears as we moved into a new place and thought maybe a nice wireless systems would keep things cleaner. 

But with no Atmos since ARC is broken on my TV and stereo via optical only. I think I might just need to pack up and return everything if no other ideas short of getting a new TV.

I did try to configure my Denon to just pass through to the ARC but that didn’t work. 

Thanks all

What is your 5.1 audio source? 

Make sure the Digital Sound Out and DTV Audio Settings are both set to Auto in the TV settings.

Optical can carry up to Dolby Digital 5.1, but you need to set both the TV’s output properly, as well as each device that is feeding the TV, as CEC (HDMI-ARC) isn’t working. Optical is a one way format, unlike ARC, which sends data in both directions. 

Thanks all but there aren’t many changes to be made and only option for one of the audio settings was Auto which is already set as. This TV just doesn’t allow any other changes from what I can see. 

What source are you testing with? There are many that are still in stereo, which is why  @GuitarSuperstar asks about it. 

I only have an Apple TV 4K connected at the moment to the TV via HDMI 2. 

From there, I have try playing things from Apple TV+, Disney +, and some stuff from my Plex server that should all be at least 5.1 if I’m saying things correctly. 

From there, I have try playing things from Apple TV+, Disney +, and some stuff from my Plex server that should all be at least 5.1 if I’m saying things correctly. 

Whilst those sources are capable of sending 5.1 data, that’s not to say they do so all of the time. Many programs are only broadcast in stereo 2.0 format. 

Under the Apple TV’s Audio Format settings, set Change Format to ON and set the New Format to Dolby Digital 5.1. Then test the film Black Panther on Disney+.

Thanks for the help. Tried that as well and no go. 

Something is off on this TV and that’s fine. Will just be keeping my existing 5.1 for now. 

Will give a shot another day but figured I’ll upgrade the TV first anyway then later try this again. 

rtings says that TV can do DD 5.1 over optical: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/ec9300-oled#test_181 so you just need to fix the settings on it.