Answered

Stereo PCM audio from Sony TV to Sonos Beam

• 13 February 2023
  • 5 replies

Hello, I'm facing strange audio issue on my Sony KD-49XG9005, wonder if someone experienced something similar.
I have 2nd gen Sonos Beam connected to HDMI-ARC and NVIDIA SHIELD TV PRO (2019) in other HDMI port on the TV. Shield is the default input, I don't use anything else. I'm using Shield's remote (and HDMI-CEC) to turn everything on and off.
When I turn my stuff on, the TV sends audio in stereo PCM to Sonos Beam. I have to turn it off and on again to get Dolby Digital to Beam. It seems to be happening only after the system was off/sleeping for a period of time.
Shield has Dolby audio processing turned on.
TV has following audio settings:
Audio output -> Digital audio out -> Auto 1
 Input-specific Sound settings -> Dolby Digital Plus output -> Dolby Digital Plus (for both HDMI ports used).
Can't find anything else that would be related to it. Is there some settings I might have missed? It's a bit annoying to do this on/off/on to get the desired audio output. Thank you!

icon

Best answer by ryznzd 3 March 2023, 02:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ryznzd 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

You could try setting your TV’s digital output format to Passthrough or Bitstream, if you have those options. You can also try unplugging your TV from power for at least a couple of minutes.

If those steps don’t help, I can only suggest contacting Sony for further assistance.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for your feedback @Corry P! I was looking further into it and figured out that it’s related to HDMI-CEC, specifically to the order in which are devices turned on.

As I previously mentioned I control everything with Shield’s remote, i.e. it’s the Shield waking up other devices. I found out that if I use TV remote to turn on the TV and let it wake up Shield & Beam then the the TV sends audio in Dolby Digital as expected. I’ll check with Sony on that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ryznzd 

That’s pretty surprising - are you sure that’s the case? I would repeat the test quite a few times to be sure.

I’m glad to hear you’re on the path to a fix, however!

Looks like I got the problem fixed - I replaced both HDMI cables (from Shield and from Beam) with identical HDMI 2.1 spec cables, did factory reset on the TV and I haven’t seen the problem since.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ryznzd 

Glad to hear it! Thanks for updating the thread!