Answered

Splitting SONOS Amp to both passive speakers and line level

• 2 April 2023
  • 4 replies

Hello,

I am currently using Sonos AMP (current gen) to power a set of floor-standing Tower speakers.

My home audio production studio (Yamaha monitors + KRK sub) is arranged in the same space as the TV system, and I’d like to find a way to send audio from AMP to that system without having to spend $400+ on a Port.

Is there a method using a line level converter that I could send speaker level signal from AMP to my passive speakers, while also sending line level input to my active monitors?

When purchasing Amp I was intending to use Amp’s line input to join the systems together, but the audio delay makes this method unusable.

Any assistance / insights are appreciated. Thanks!

icon

Best answer by buzz 4 April 2023, 01:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @KaiellTheWizard 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Is there a method using a line level converter that I could send speaker level signal from AMP to my passive speakers, while also sending line level input to my active monitors?

There well may be, but as it is unsupported, I cannot give any recommendations or advice. As line-level converters do exist, I can only presume that using one correctly will produce the results you seek, however. I assume you would need to ensure an impedance of 8 Ohms. I’m not sure how well one of these devices would work in tandem with connected speakers and the volume control - it could be a problem.

My posting here will put your topic back on the Recently Active list, however, so perhaps someone else can assist.

When purchasing Amp I was intending to use Amp’s line input to join the systems together, but the audio delay makes this method unusable.

The delay exists so that Amp (or any other Sonos device with line-in) can buffer the feed for synchronised network playback. The Port’s line-out output would come after this process, which is why it’s the preferred solution for what you are trying to do.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The problem with speaker to line level converters is that when you play the speakers quietly you need only a small reduction in the levels, when you are playing them loud you need a big reduction. Have your converter set for quiet levels and increasing the volume can fry the imputs you are using.

I’d go with the Port or at least an S2 compatible used Connect.

With the Pirt or Connect hooked to your tape monitor jacks you can have both playing. You may have to deal with an internal delay in your non-Sonos gear, usually by disabling any internal DSP processing.

Back up a little. There may be a separate audio output from the TV that you can send to your mixer. Does the mixer provide an audio delay?

A search netted this unit.