Speaker Placement - Suggestions?

• 10 January 2023
  • 9 replies

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice with placement for my speakers. Setup consists of:

1 x Playbar

1 x Sub

2 x One

The first image shows my basic room setup, it has a corner sofa. The Playbar will be positioned in front of the TV and the sub beside the TV. The main seating position will be at the long part of the sofa (running beside the wall) into the corner.

Initially I was going to place my One’s behind the sofa in front of the TV using stands, as per the second image. They would have been at shoulder height.

However my wife is not impressed with the idea of having the stands exposed, especially with children in the mix.

We were thinking of putting the One’s on the stands at shoulder height behind the sofa along the wall, as per the third image. Would this work? It has the added benefit of not having to worry about hiding the power cables, and they would be out the way of the children a little.

Purple in the image are the One’s / sub. Red are table furniture.

Your suggestions are very much appreciated!

9 replies

@Sierra Oscar
I’m not sure why you would have a ‘Playbar’ and an ‘Arc’ with one TV?
I don’t understand the ‘Arc’ positioned besides the TV - do you perhaps mean the Sonos Sub🤔?

Anyhow, is it your intention to ‘bond’ the two Sonos ‘One’ speakers to the ‘Playbar’ for use as Home Theatre/TV surround sound, or is the intention to have those as a separate entity/Sonos room(s) and to ‘group’ (not bond) those speakers with the Playbar for music purposes, rather than HT surround sound? - if it is ‘grouping for music’, are you looking to use each Sonos ‘One’ standalone, or stereo-paired?

Can you clarify the intended setup, as that might assist with suggestions as to where to place the two Ones.

You stated you have a playbar and an Arc, but those are both soundbars.  You can’t use two soundbars in a room setup.  Did you mean playbar and sub?  or maybe Arc and sub?

Anyway, the rear surrounds speakers should be placed...in the rear.  So, your 2nd picture, where the speakers are on the left side wall, is not a good idea.  The 3rd pic is better, although it’s better if they are a little further back.  Understand that young kids could be an issue, I would maybe mount the Ones on the back wall.  You could maybe have them on stands to the sofa.  If that doesn’t work, I probably would go without rear surrounds until the kids are older.

Sorry guys, I should have said the sub. Apologies. Post edited.

That’s what a newborn and sleep deprivation does to you! I was having a look around to see if I would replace the Playbar with an Arc prior to posting and had it stuck in my head as a result! I’ve settled for holding onto the Playbar for now.

@Sierra Oscar
I’m not sure why you would have a ‘Playbar’ and an ‘Arc’ with one TV?
I don’t understand the ‘Arc’ positioned besides the TV - do you perhaps mean the Sonos Sub🤔?

Anyhow, is it your intention to ‘bond’ the two Sonos ‘One’ speakers to the ‘Playbar’ for use as Home Theatre/TV surround sound, or is the intention to have those as a separate entity/room(s) and ‘group’ (not bond) those speakers with the Playbar for music purposes, rather than HT surround sound - if it is ‘grouping for music’ are you looking to use each Sonos ‘One’ standalone, or stereo paired?

Can you clarify the intended setup, as that might assist with suggestions as to where to place the two Ones.

I’m hoping to have the Playbar, Sub & One’s setup for surround sound linked to the television. They will all be group to the one room.

I’m not too keen on mounting the One’s on the wall itself. I’ve done so in my current home for the last few years and hiding the cabling behind the walls was a fair bit of work - and it looks horrendeous to have the cable coming down the wall if you choose not to tear into the wall.

Placing the surround speakers adjacent to the sofa will result in the nearby speaker dominating for the nearby listener. Anyone sitting at an end of the sofa will tend to hear only one surround speaker.

The soundbar should be centered on and below the TV.

I’m hoping to have the Playbar, Sub & One’s setup for surround sound linked to the television. They will all be group to the one room.

I’m not too keen on mounting the One’s on the wall itself. I’ve done so in my current home for the last few years and hiding the cabling behind the walls was a fair bit of work - and it looks horrendeous to have the cable coming down the wall if you choose not to tear into the wall.

Thanks for clarifying, my choice would be to put both Ones on stands (set at head height when seated, or above settee height) and put them both out the way by the wall when the kids are around and about. Then you can easily move them on their stands so both are approx equidistant on either side and behind your ‘usual’ seated position - I think you will soon find the ideal spot for them, that then sound best for your listening position, but allow them to be flexible in their movement until the kids get older.

If you’re moving them regularly, then either don’t Trueplay tune them, or Trueplay tune them where you use them most of all.

Whist the Sub is fine where it is - I personally prefer a Sub in a corner of the room, so I’ve added that to my drawing attached, but it depends what is in that corner and most important of all, it’s what best suits your Wife.😂

It’s these sort of ‘corner-seating’ setups, where I would like to see Sonos introduce a left/right balance slider-control for their HT surrounds, as that too might help to make things sound a little better, as corner seating can provide quite an awkward listening position …and my thoughts are adjusting the balance might perhaps help on some occasions, with these things 

Thanks for clarifying, my choice would be to put both Ones on stands (set at head height when seated, or above settee height) and put them both out the way by the wall when the kids are around and about. Then you can easily move them on their stands so both are approx equidistant on either side and behind your ‘usual’ seated position - I think you will soon find the ideal spot for them, that then sound best for your listening position, but allow them to be flexible in their movement until the kids get older.

If you’re moving them regularly, then either don’t Trueplay tune them, or Trueplay tune them where you use them most of all.

Whist the Sub is fine where it is - I personally prefer a Sub in a corner of the room, so I’ve added that to my drawing attached, but it depends what is in that corner and most important of all, it’s what best suits your Wife.😂

Those are some good suggestions, thank you! It wouldn’t be so bad moving them a short distance on the stands, hadn’t really thought to do that. Can be put into the ‘sweet spot’ for movies and whatnot.

We’re actually not too fussy about where the sub goes, that corner might be a good shout. It’s almost like a nice piece of furniture! 😅

SUB should be vaguely in the same plain as PLAYBAR.