Answered

sound difference - streaming vs bluray

• 30 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi

Does Sonos have different ”settings” for sound when the source of sound is different?

When I stream music (stereo) from my Plex server (24/48) the music sounds fuller than when I burn the same music to bluray disc and play it from there. When playing from bluray the surround speakers do not play with same level as when streaming from Plex. Also the user interface on ios app is different - the enhance speech option is available. From the app I can see that Sonos receives TrueHD stereo from bluray so sound is not degraded somewhere in the middle. 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 30 May 2023, 07:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

It’s the difference between “TV mode” and “music mode”.

When streaming from Plex, you are probably streaming directly from the Sonos app which means you are in music mode. The reason why the surround speakers sound louder is because you probably have Music Playback set to FULL under the Surround Audio settings which results in full stereo playback from both the sound bar AND surround speakers. In music mode, the Sonos app doesn’t usually display the audio format (unless you are streaming Dolby Atmos music from Apple Music). The Speech Enhancement and Night Sound features are also not available in music mode. 

When playing a Blu-ray disc, you are in TV mode which means the sound bar will play what is determined to be ambient audio from a stereo source out of the surround speakers rather than full stereo playback. The reason for this is because the Sonos sound bar is designed to up-mix a 2-channel stereo TV source and make it sound like it’s in 5.1 surround. The Sonos app will also always display the audio format in TV mode. Speech Enhancement and Night Sound features are also available in TV mode.

Hi

Thank you for the reply.

Is it possible to switch to music mode when using bluray?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sorry, but no, it is not.