Skip to main content
Question

Sound cuts out randomly in Playbar

• 12 July 2024
  • 6 replies

I've been tearing my hair out with my Sonos system for what feels like an eternity. My Playbar randomly disconnects multiple times during every song, like it’s on some sort of mission to drive me insane. After finally deciding to investigate, I found numerous discussions like this one:

Apparently, people have been battling this issue for years, and Sonos is supposedly "investigating" it.

Does anyone have any idea what’s going on with this so-called investigation?

P.S. I mustered all my patience and spent over 3 hours with a Sonos agent, performing an endless series of ridiculous tests and sending diagnostics, all for nothing. At this point, I feel like I should be awarded an honorary tech support degree!

Thanks (I think...),
Carles

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Try it on an ethernet lead to router then disable wifi, this will use sonos sonosnet instead of wifi

Move any other antenna wifi stuff, hubs etc,  further away from router

Thanks Paulrw for your reply!

I have already tried disabling the WiFi, but it didn't help.In addition, a Sonos support agent advised me that disabling the WiFi is not recommended, even if there is a wired Ethernet connection. However, the agent seemed to have a very poor understanding of networking principles, so I wouldn't put much stock in their advice. Regardless, disabling the WiFi didn't resolve the issue.

Regarding your second recommendation, the router is located in the basement while the playbar is on the main floor. All connections are properly configured using CAT6 cables, RJ45 outlets, and a patch panel connected to a Gigabit Ethernet switch next to the router.

I strongly believe this is a bug in the Sonos firmware. If Sonos truly cared about their customers, they would make an effort to resolve it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Is sounds very much like an IP address conflict, where the soundbar and another device are vying for the same address that they have been assigned by the router. Only one can win at any one time.

Can you turn off the router for two minutes and then back on again to assign the devices fresh IP addresses?

Thanks, Rhonny. I thought about that too and even assigned a fixed IP to the Playbar through DHCP based on its MAC address, but it didn't help. Now, I've switched back to dynamic IP, and I can confirm there are no duplicate IP addresses on the network.

Additionally, the router, along with the APs and all Sonos devices, have been rebooted multiple times.

Carles

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The other major thing (if you are using a streaming service for your music) is to ensure that you are not using it on another speaker or device at the same time, if you have a standard/basic account. For example, my family used to have issues with Spotify music cutting out multiple times per song at home if I was also using Spotify on my commute, until I got a premium Spotify account that allowed me to assign one of the user accounts to my Sonos. 

Nope. Happens with every streaming service that I tried, not only spotiffy.