Answered

Sound cuts out from Samsung QN85

• 22 December 2023
  • 5 replies

I have owned my system (Arc, Sub(Gen 3) and One SLs) for just over a year. Up until a few weeks ago, everything was awesome, but now the sound coming from my Samsung QN85 keeps cutting our for a few seconds. The frequency at which it happens depends on the settings I’ve made in the “Sound” menu on the TV, i.e. enabling/disabling Atmos, etc. I’ve tried unplugging, made config changes recommended in similar threads, etc. but nothing seems to be helping. What changed to make this start occurring? Is there anything I can do to get it to work the way it did for the first 11 months?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 27 December 2023, 14:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @RP907 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

In all such circumstances, I always recommend a reboot of the TV - please unplug it from power for at least a couple of minutes to allow the capacitors to fully discharge. This will restart the TV’s software in a way that standby simply doesn’t achieve.

If the issue persists, please try disconnecting other HDMI devices from the TV - if that prevents the issue, please reconnect and test one at a time until you find the device causing the issue, and disable it’s HDMI-CEC functions (these typically relate to switching the TV off or on and changing it’s input). If there are no options to change, you may want to fit a CEC-less adaptor on it’s HDMI cable.

If, on the other hand, the issue is due to a loose connection, it could help either to just push the connector in more securely, or even to swap the ends of the cable around.

I hope this helps.

Thank you. I did as you suggested (powered down TV and Arc for a few hours, swapped ends of HDMI cable around, no other devices connected) and it worked… for a few days. It is now doing the same thing again. Happy that it worked, but frustrated that it was only temporary. I really need a more permanent solution as moving furniture to unplug, etc. shouldn’t be necessary. I don’t understand why, after working perfectly for 11 months, this started happening. Appreciate your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d really suspect a bad cable or socket, if you could carefully wiggle just one at a time you might be able to narrow down the problem point.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @RP907 

And if @Stanley_4’s advice does not help, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

I replaced the HDMI cable and rebooted the TV. Everything appears to be working properly again (fingers crossed). Thank you for the help @Corry P and @Stanley_4.