Answered

sound breaking up while streaming from smart tv

• 27 December 2022
  • 8 replies

Just got my Sonos beam and it works great with the tv but when I stream a movie, the sounds is breaking up. Any ideas what the issue might be? 
Thank you

Awr1015

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 27 December 2022, 10:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

What TV make/model is it? What are the TV sound-out settings and where are you playing the movie from (ie: inbuilt TV App/App on a connected device etc)?

How have you connected the Beam to the TV - (HDMI-ARC/eARC, or Optical connection?) What audio codec are you using PCM/DTS/LPCM/Dolby Digital etc?

Any other devices connected to the TV HDMI ports?

It’s a LG ThinQ. I was streaming a movie from one of the built in apps on the tv. The beam is connected using the Optical connection. There is a fire stick and the Directv connected with the TV’s HDMI ports. 

It’s a LG ThinQ. I was streaming a movie from one of the built in apps on the tv. The beam is connected using the Optical connection. There is a fire stick and the Directv connected with the TV’s HDMI ports. 

Which model? …Is there a reason you chose to use the optical connection, rather than the HDMI-ARC/eARC connection? See comparison chart below and the bandwidth comparison between the types of connection ‘perhaps’ available to you with many LG TV’s…

I’m trying to find the model. The tv only has 2 HDMI outlets and I  currently using both of them. I can try switching the way I connect my beam and see if that works. 

I’m trying to find the model. The tv only has 2 HDMI outlets and I  currently using both of them. I can try switching the way I connect my beam and see if that works. 

Let me know the model number as that will help - goto the TV settings to find the model it’s usually in ‘Settings/General/About this TV/TV information’ … but the path can vary by model. 

The model #65UP7000PUA

The model #65UP7000PUA

Thanks - I would personally choose to connect the Beam to HDMI-2 eARC port). Also set the TV settings as follows…

• Simplink & Auto-Power Sync: ‘ON’
  • Sound Out: ‘HDMI ARC’
  • HDMI Input Audio Format: ‘Bitstream’
  • Digital Sound Out: ‘Pass Through’
  • eARC: ‘On’
  • DTV Audio: ‘Auto’ or Dolby Digital (Not ‘Dolby Digital Plus’ - as that codec is not supported by the Beam)

If you need further HDMI ports for your devices, then I would look to add a powered HDMI switch to the TV and that will provide you with additional ports to connect those. By doing these things, you will then be able to also obtain Dolby Atmos 5.1/TrueHD/LPCM audio from your TV sources, such as Amazon Prime Movies, Netflix and Disney+ etc. rather than just Dolby Digital 5.1 audio.

Hope that assists 

Thank you so much Ken!