Skip to main content
Answered

Sonos system setup with multiple devices

• 10 December 2022
  • 8 replies

Setting up sub, 2x one SL, and beam. I’m able to connect all the devices in the same “room” except the beam. Each time I reset the device and select the same “room” as the other devices it creates its own new room. Why can I not get all the devices set to the same “room”? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Start with all of your devices having different Room names. At this point only BEAM’s Room name is important. Now you can add the other devices to BEAM as elements in a surround Room. After you are done setting up the surround Room, there will be only one Room -- using BEAM’s Room name.

How many Sonos devices can I put on the same network?

I will be using more than 20 equipment (Five, AMP, Sub, Play 1 and One SL)

How many Sonos devices can I put on the same network?

I will be using more than 20 equipment (Five, AMP, Sub, Play 1 and One SL)

32 devices and 32 controllers per single Sonos Household and you can have multiple Households on the same Network Subnet. So any limitation will likely be the bandwidth of your local network.

Start with all of your devices having different Room names. At this point only BEAM’s Room name is important. Now you can add the other devices to BEAM as elements in a surround Room. After you are done setting up the surround Room, there will be only one Room -- using BEAM’s Room name.

I powered off all 4 sonos devices. I first connected the beam to a new room. Then I turned on one of the One SL speakers and when I selected the same room as the beam, it yet again created its own new room instead of joining the one with the beam. 

I powered off all 4 sonos devices. I first connected the beam to a new room. Then I turned on one of the One SL speakers and when I selected the same room as the beam, it yet again created its own new room instead of joining the one with the beam. 

You aren’t following buzz’s directions.   He told you that all the speakers are supposed to have different room names.  Then, in order to get them all in the same room, you need to follow this link for instructions on how to add the One SL’s to the Beam as surrounds:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-surround-speakers-to-a-sonos-home-theater

Note: Surrounds should be placed to the left and right and behind the main viewing area for greatest effect. 

Yeah, I didn’t read it correctly. I got it to work finally after trying it again with all separate names. Seems kind of odd it requires that to setup. 

My Home Theatre speakers were each originally called 

• Lounge 
  • Lounge-L
  • Lounge-R
  • Sub

…which was a Sonos Arc, 2 x Ones & Sub

When ‘bonded’ together, they became one room called ‘Lounge’.

So it didn’t seem that odd to me, as I always knew, later down the line, which was my rear-left and rear-right speaker, even when I occasionally ‘unbonded’ the speakers etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

There’s a technical reason for this oddness: the Beam is the start of all things surround in your set up. So you ad speakers to the Beam. They must be set up first because if not the system does not know they exist.