Skip to main content

Last week I upgraded my wi-fi to 1GB with Spectrum and had to replace my modem/router.  Since that meant the network name and password changed, I had to reconnect my Sonos products to the new network.

After I was unable to connect my Sonos products myself, I called Sonos Support on Friday. After being on hold for almost two hours, my call was answered and support was very helpful getting my three Sonos Ones, one Sonos Roam, one Sonos Move, two Sonos One surrounds, Sonos sub woofer and Sonos playbar connected to my new router/modem.

Unfortunately, on Saturday, I realized the two Sonos One surround speakers had no sound.  They had always worked before.  I double checked to make sure I had a surround sound movie and audio was 5.1 and output was Dolby Digital.

I tried to use chat support several times over the weekend but kept getting a message that NO agent was available.

I called again yesterday and held again for an hour for Sonos Support.  After trying to connect the two Sonos One surround speakers many different ways by ethernet, resetting, etc. I was told by the support agent that my NEW Spectrum modem/router was NOT compatible with Sonos and would not be able to use my Sonos One surround speakers.    I was very upset so I decided to end the call at this point.

After I calmed down, I called back and held for 27 minutes and then opted to have Sonos support call me back.  I NEVER got a call back. 

Here is my question, how can SEVEN of my Sonos products be compatible and work with my NEW spectrum modem/router but the two Sonos One surround speakers do not work and are not compatible according to Sonos

This does not sound right and also sounds like Sonos is TOO busy to even care.

Robin

Surround speakers don’t have sound all the time on 5.1 and Atmos. Only on the occasions where the sound engineers have put some atmosphere or specific sounds there.

Are you sure you are never hearing any sound?

Last week I upgraded my wi-fi to 1GB with Spectrum and had to replace my modem/router.  Since that meant the network name and password changed, I had to reconnect my Sonos products to the new network.

After I was unable to connect my Sonos products myself, I called Sonos Support on Friday. After being on hold for almost two hours, my call was answered and support was very helpful getting my three Sonos Ones, one Sonos Roam, one Sonos Move, two Sonos One surrounds, Sonos sub woofer and Sonos playbar connected to my new router/modem.

Unfortunately, on Saturday, I realized the two Sonos One surround speakers had no sound.  They had always worked before.  I double checked to make sure I had a surround sound movie and audio was 5.1 and output was Dolby Digital.

I tried to use chat support several times over the weekend but kept getting a message that NO agent was available.

I called again yesterday and held again for an hour for Sonos Support.  After trying to connect the two Sonos One surround speakers many different ways by ethernet, resetting, etc. I was told by the support agent that my NEW Spectrum modem/router was NOT compatible with Sonos and would not be able to use my Sonos One surround speakers.    I was very upset so I decided to end the call at this point.

After I calmed down, I called back and held for 27 minutes and then opted to have Sonos support call me back.  I NEVER got a call back. 

Here is my question, how can SEVEN of my Sonos products be compatible and work with my NEW spectrum modem/router but the two Sonos One surround speakers do not work and are not compatible according to Sonos

Robin

I don’t know why Sonos support would have you hard wire a surround speaker to your network if your Playbar is not also hardwired. If you can hardwire your Playbar, do that . Reset your surrounds and read them to the Playbar.

Thanks.

Surround speakers don’t have sound all the time on 5.1 and Atmos. Only on the occasions where the sound engineers have put some atmosphere or specific sounds there.

Are you sure you are never hearing any sound?

Thanks, Rhonny.  I double checked and checked other movies with surround sound and could not hear any sound from my surround sound speakers.

Robin

I don’t know why Sonos support would have you hard wire a surround speaker to your network if your Playbar is not also hardwired. If you can hardwire your Playbar, do that . Reset your surrounds and read them to the Playbar.

Thanks, Pools-3015.  I have had my Sonos products since 2019 and none of them haver been hardwired.  I do not have the capability of hard wiring them. 

Usually, you can change the default network name in your router when you get it.  This would have probably been an easier solution for you.  We have so many networked devices if I had to change the SSID they all look for when I change routers it would be a ton of work.

That said, I can’t imagine why your new router is not compatible with SONOS Ones - makes zero sense.  SONOS over-burdened support has now become like their over-burdened developers. Unable to keep up with the havoc that has been brought to them by their idiot CEO.

You need a better explanation than this and they need to tell you specifically what the “compatibility issue” is.  There could indeed be a WIFI setting you need to change, but certainly it should be able to work, and SONOS should know this.

Usually, you can change the default network name in your router when you get it.  This would have probably been an easier solution for you.  We have so many networked devices if I had to change the SSID they all look for when I change routers it would be a ton of work.

That said, I can’t imagine why your new router is not compatible with SONOS Ones - makes zero sense.  SONOS over-burdened support has now become like their over-burdened developers. Unable to keep up with the havoc that has been brought to them by their idiot CEO.

You need a better explanation than this and they need to tell you specifically what the “compatibility issue” is.  There could indeed be a WIFI setting you need to change, but certainly it should be able to work, and SONOS should know this.

Agreed stevepow.  I called back yesterday and asked the question why SEVEN of my Sonos products would work with my new router but not the two surround sound Sonos One.  They did NOT have answer to that.  I asked for my ticket to escalated to a supervisor which they did but have not had a return call yet.  But he did say he could escalate my ticket but the supervisor was going to tell me the same thing that TWO of them were not compatible.  For my MYQ  garage door opener, I had to switch to 2.4 ghz to get it connected so I asked Sonos if i needed to do that and he said no.

Robin

Your surrounds are not currently stereo paired with each other, are they? You can’t connect paired speakers as surrounds. You’d need to unpair them and then try again.

Presumably too you are using the Connect Surrounds function on your soundbar settings?

Spectrum router caused all the problems with mine. I kept their modem and exchanged the new "latest" router Spectrum gave me with a TP Link 4 Mesh ($90) and all works now. Fought same thing you were for 2 months. I finally found something in the Sonos site that says Spectrum routers don't work. I set up the TP Link, gave it a new wifi name, got it set up, then renamed it to the old wifi name, and all my devices found it. With Sonos, you will need to go back and find the newer speakers (ERA, SONOS 1) but my play bar and sub automatically were found. I can't believe they don't do a mass email to account holders with this tip.