Answered

Sonos Sub Woofer Not Powering up (GEN 2)

All of a sudden my Sonos sub woofer stopped receiving power.  I literally never had an issue with my Sonos system until this happened.  I’ve read all of the topics about resetting it.  That isn’t the problem.  I need help powering the darn thing back up. What can I do?  Are there any repair shops that can look at this?  I contacted support and they want my sub for a 30% off a new one?!?!!??? Not! 

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 29 March 2023, 13:13

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The basic Sonos warranty is better then many others, the extended warranty lengths match what other places are offering.

Have you found anyone with a longer offering for consumer electronics?

Have you found anyone with a better “out of warranty but we feel bad for you” aka the 30% off, offering?

I also have this problem on a sub purchased in 2019, is 4 years all you can expect to get out of a Sonos sub? 

I am going to try an electronic repair shop because otherwise this is a write off 

4 yrs is way too short for a premium product..

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos does offer extended warranty lengths.

Sub warranty pop-up

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

It’s always frustrating when kit fails, but of the thousands of speakers Sonos has sold, the failure rate seems to be a very small percentage. Whilst there may seem to be a high number, these forums tend to be filled with those with kit that failed rather than the (much higher number of) those with kit that’s working. 

I’ve migrated all my audio to sonos - roam, move, lots of ones, home theatre setup - now I have serious misgivings about the product.  I bought them because they are a high end product and I expected longevity out of them.   Hopefully some new buyers will find these posts before diving in so they can make an educated decision.  

Same story here - four year old gen 2 sub just didn’t come on yesterday.    Support says sorry you can buy a new one for 30% off.   Crazy since the failure is probably a $2 part on the board.

I actually opened it up and traced good power all the way into the DC side - but don’t know enough to go beyond that - none of the components look physically burnt or damaged - tried removing the WiFi board which fixed another user’s sub - no luck.   Looking for a local repair shop.   Why won’t Sonos sell us a new board instead of a sub that costs you $100 a year plus to own before you have to buy a new one? 

Mother Nature is never fair. I have a SUB from the original shipment that is still working.

I expect that a repair would cost several hundred dollars. Since SUB is rather heavy, a significant fraction of the charge would be shipping costs.

If you live in Europe there are a few 3rd party shops that repair SONOS. If you live close to one of these shops you could save shipping costs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Yep…. same story for me. 30% off , so to replace it costs me $600 for an $800 investment after 4 years!

BS

I’ll ask you the same questions here as I did on the thread you recently started, @Dickie D:

30% off a replacement for an out-of-warranty product: how many other companies do you know that would do that?

Who do you know that offers a bigger discount than 30%?

How old should the product be before no longer being offering a free-of-charge replacement? 

And still better than I’d get from any other company on out of warranty equipment…

Yep…. same story for me. 30% off , so to replace it costs me $600 for an $800 investment after 4 years!

BS

spoke to sonos - looks like the problem is unsolveable. they offered me a 30% credit to use against any other sonos product once I ship the sub back to them (which they pay for) 

No reason or explanation given but it does seem like gen 1 subs are prone to break down. Obviously not 100% of them breakdown ! 

I’ve got two Sonos Subs, one was an ‘open box’ from Best Buy, both have been operating for 10 ish years. 

I also have this problem on a sub purchased in 2019, is 4 years all you can expect to get out of a Sonos sub? 

I am going to try an electronic repair shop because otherwise this is a write off 

I purchased my Sub in Aug 2018, and it has recently stopped working (noticed not connected in app).  I tried everything but the button lights won’t come on, so I think a power supply is shot.  I had the same thing happen with a Play 5 Gen 2 and they replaced it because they knew it had a power issue (Per a Sonos tech support person when I called in)  I have contacted Sonos about this issue and they are telling me to try a different power cord, which I don’t think will fix the issue, but they won’t move forward until I try it.  This is extremely frustrating trying to buy Premium Products and they have issues.  I have almost 3K in my system and have major doubts with the quality at this point.  The biggest question I have going forward is what to buy next if Sonos doesn’t make this right!?!?😡🤔

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Plexio, welcome to the Sonos Community!

If your Sonos Sub isn’t powering on and isn’t able to be reset, then it sounds like a power failure. I can see you’ve already spoken with our support team and they have discussed the replacement options with you. 

The 30% replacement option would be all that our support team can offer as the Sub Gen 2 was released in 2016 and discontinued in 2020, so any Gen 2 models will be out of warranty.

There aren’t any third party repair shops we would recommend as we only officially offer a return and replacement service. Using a product altered by a third party service can cause issues with your Sonos system.