Answered

Sonos Sub Stopped Working - Not Connected

• 25 December 2022
  • 9 replies

Looking for help with my Sonos Sub.  We have a beam/sub combo for our home theater setup.  These have been working fine for a couple years.  Recently the sub just stopped working. Nothing changed except some back  end network changes. 

I’ve completed removed the sub from our network, did a hard reset (holding the button while powering on) and re-added to our network after resetting all network devices.   The sub is found but the app is not able to connect it to our beam. It just sits in the app saying “Not Connected” and we aren’t able to connect it.

Any help that can be given?

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 30 December 2022, 11:45

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @belacyrf, welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’d suggest against any further factory resets as they can remove valuable diagnostic information and we wont be able to find out what caused the issue.

The ‘Not Connected’ message shows when a device is either offline or not connected to Wi-Fi. If the Sub is powered on, where you can see a solid white LED, go into the Sonos app and go to the Sub in the System tab. You should then be prompted to resolve the error.

We have an article on resolving the Not Connected error, and generally this error comes around due to Wi-Fi issues. If you’ve followed the steps in this article, then I’d suggest reaching out to our support team for further assistance on resolving this issue.

I hope this information helps!

@Jamie A
I tried as you suggested.   First either the article is outdated or it assumes everyone has an iphone. 
I never got a prompt to fix it.   But when I clicked on the sub, it said it’s not connected and then prompted to connect it.

I followed the instructions.  Powering off and back on (not resetting).  And the sub connected, but only for a little bit.  It never worked and after about 30 seconds it disconnected again.     Let me know if you’d like me to run a diagnostics on it.

What did the Support Team say, when you reached out to them?

This is my attempt to reach out to the support team. Jamie A is Sonos Staff. 

I was working off of @Jamie A ‘s suggestion of :

If you’ve followed the steps in this article, then I’d suggest reaching out to our support team for further assistance on resolving this issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @belacyrf,

You shouldn’t need a iOS device specifically, but you will need a mobile device. If you’re using the Desktop controller, it wont have the tools you need to get devices back into the system, as it’s a lot more limited than the mobile app.

What Bruce and I meant, is that on the community we have limited access into your system and the tools necessary to resolve any issues, while our live support team have more tools to troubleshoot systems and issues. I could look into a diagnostic you send over, but depending what is causing the issue I may not be able to help you resolve it on here.

Nevertheless, why don’t you submit two diagnostics, one while the sub is connected and another once the Sub drops from the system, you may have to reboot it again to get both diagnostics. Copy the number here and I’ll take a look to see why it’s not playing nicely.

Since your other devices are working fine, would you mind letting me know if there are any electrical devices near the Sub, how Sonos connects to your network, and what network equipment you have?

I was working from my android phone.. just letting you the prompt wasn’t as the article suggested.

I can try to submit two diagnostics, but that sub doesn't really stay connected long enough to run one, but I can try.

As for the network, it’s all wifi.  I’m running multiple ruckus r510 APs with MU-MIMO technology.  These are quality APs.  But we do have many wifi devices in the house.  None near by. The only thing remotely close is a DISH receiver for satellite tv about 5 feet away in a cubby.

We cannot rule out hardware issue(s), most likely with SUB, but it’s also possible that BEAM has an issue because BEAM will attempt to establish a private 5GHz direct link with SUB.

Be sure to check for silly stuff, such as a duplicate IP address. Reserve IP addresses for all regular network clients.

Finally, as mentioned above, refrain from Factory Reset without further consult. Factory reset wastes a lot of time, trashes diagnostic data, and, while it might temporarily, accidentally work through something, it rarely results in a permanent cure.

In your OP you mentioned “backend changes”. Are all of the ports that SONOS needs still available?

One further thought: Assuming that all the necessary ports are available and if you have another SONOS Room, as a diagnostic tool use the controller App to remove SUB from the surround Room, Factory Reset SUB, and attempt to bond SUB to another Room. If this fails, then it is highly likely that there is a hardware issue with SUB. Take diagnostics before and after each step and keep a log. Even the failed diagnostics will contribute some data. When you’re done with this experiment, remove SUB from the other Room’s setup.