Sonos Sub dissapearing from network

• 13 July 2021
  • 6 replies

Hi.

I have a Sonos beam and a Gen 3 Sub. The Sub regularly (daily) disappears from the system. The beam still works fine and is in the App, but the Sub has vanished (system setup in the app shows ‘Beam +?’)

Only solution seems to be a factory reset of the sub and then reintroduce it to the system. Not ideal and yesterday I couldn't get it back at all and after a faff I now have the sub but no beam :)

Soooooo. My culprit I think is Sky Q interfering maybe. Ive tried both 5G and 2.4G frequencies and the same thing still happens.

I’m thinking of going down the powerline route and putting a network cable into the sub and maybe the beam too. Has anyone tried this?

thanks.

Paul

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

What router are you using? Can you wire the Beam directly to the router with an ethernet cable?

Hello. Its a Sky Q router. Pretty recent one (less than 12 months). And the beam is too far for a direct cable. IMO its the sky TV unit itself, as it acts as a repeater for the network. When I use network tooling to scan the area I see my 2.4 and 5G internet being re transmitted by the Sky TV unit, so they appear twice on the network.

I wonder if Sky have done some sort of update because I’ve started having my speakers drop out on sky too. 

Hi.

I have a Sonos beam and a Gen 3 Sub. The Sub regularly (daily) disappears from the system. The beam still works fine and is in the App, but the Sub has vanished (system setup in the app shows ‘Beam +?’)

Only solution seems to be a factory reset of the sub and then reintroduce it to the system. Not ideal and yesterday I couldn't get it back at all and after a faff I now have the sub but no beam :)

Soooooo. My culprit I think is Sky Q interfering maybe. Ive tried both 5G and 2.4G frequencies and the same thing still happens.

I’m thinking of going down the powerline route and putting a network cable into the sub and maybe the beam too. Has anyone tried this?

thanks.

Paul

Paul, I found a solution to this if you were struggling. I turned the ECO mode off of my Sky Q box and that worked. The Sky Q box acts as a wifi relay but overnight the Q box powers down to ECO changing the front light to red. Turning it off and leaving it on standby I have had 2 nights without problems. 

Ah that's interesting Tarrantino thanks.

Ive effectively done a similar thing by using a pair of 600mbs powerline adapters to switch my sky to a cabled solution. then turning off its wifi entirely. Since then my Sonos has been stable. Note you need to use a special engineers code to turn off the wifi in the Sky Q box. Instructions are easily found via google.

Ive meant to do this for a while anyway as having the same network SID twice seemed to be giving other devices problems too. I imagine theres a bit of swapping between the two going on under the covers causing problems.

Ah that's interesting Tarrantino thanks.

Ive effectively done a similar thing by using a pair of 600mbs powerline adapters to switch my sky to a cabled solution. then turning off its wifi entirely. Since then my Sonos has been stable. Note you need to use a special engineers code to turn off the wifi in the Sky Q box. Instructions are easily found via google.

Ive meant to do this for a while anyway as having the same network SID twice seemed to be giving other devices problems too. I imagine theres a bit of swapping between the two going on under the covers causing problems.

Yes that was going to be my next attempt at a fix. I just noticed it was happening when I got up. Have to say another day of no dropping out so seems to work.